do people in america drink black tea like british do?

i'm wondering about this....black tea with milk is my favourite drink being british and i wondered if it is commonly drunk in the u.s as a drink? i know they have iced tea, i don't know too much about that...but what about a hot cup of black tea with milk, like we do have traditionally?

• No we drink iced tea. Hot tea with milk sounds gross!! 

• james

No. We do drink black tea. But it is scrap tea compared to English tea.  This is Abes fault. From the civil war. When he gave A&P tea company exclusive rights for 99 years to control all tea shipped to the U.S.. To keep Briton from selling blockade busters to the South. So Americans have got use to the taste of the lower grade black teas. Not the better grade the Brits drink. I notice quit a difference also in what black tea Canadians get over what Americans suffer in teas. 

Of course we drink it--but hot black tea with milk is NOT a common thing. Overall, TEA is common enough, though. We have so many varieties of tea here--and black tea is the usual kind sold when buying unflavored tea, and usually the main ingredient in a lot of flavored teas.. But we don't often see it served or consumed with milk. A lot of people like lemon instead--or nothing--or just sugar/honey or other sweetener. 

Iced tea is simply clear, *sometimes* sweetened tea, poured over ice and served as a summer beverage. One walk through the grocery store will show you how popular it is. 

It’s all just tea to us. Iced tea is more popular though. Coffee is #1 Green tea is pretty popular in some places hot or iced. You haven’t lived til you try an Arizona Iced Green Tea with Cucumber. 

• Kate

Black tea is black tea. Tea with milk in it is called white tea.

Americans certainly don't drink tea as much as coffee, and most don't drink it on a daily basis. Hot tea is more of a cozy, warm up drink, (like hot cider or cocoa) or for special occasions. and for whatever reason, I don't know anyone who takes their tea with milk or cream (though honey, lemon, ginger and sugar aren't uncommon.)

• Tavy

They serve Lipton tea which is weak and beige. Horrible stuff, I have taken my own tea bags when I have holidayed there,

It is nowhere near as popular as in here in the uk but it is drank by quite a lot of people

It is not as common in the U.S. as coffee but you can certainly find it.

im from oregon and black tea is the best