Asep
Asep asked in PetsDogs · 4 months ago

What do you think of owners who don’t let their dogs on the bed or couches?

Back when I had a dog my mom never let him on the couches or bed because she thought he was dirty. We figured out that he would sleep on my moms bed everytime we left the house lol

I stay out of my dog's bed and she stays out of mine.

• "What do you think of owners who don’t let their dogs on the bed or couches?"

That THEY just-might POSSIBLY be sensible enough to participate in weekly training classes for a year and learn HOW to properly train their dogs. My first dog ("Pal", Fox Terrier x Cocker Spaniel, born 1950) wasn't allowed inside, but that never bothered him. Of the many GSDs we've had in the years since marriage in 1967, none have attempted to climb onto the furniture. A pooch that is happy with life doesn't feel any need to elevate itself - except maybe while being driven in a motor-vehicle.

The only one of our dogs that slept on our bed was "Otto" (photo). He was an obedient show-dog. (At club days he would always win the "Longest Down-Stay" contest despite all except one of the judge's tricks such as calling, tugging on the leash, bouncing a ball in front of each dog's nose .But if, with just "Otto" and one other dog left, the judge got bored so used his "secret weapon" & dropped a ball of meat about a foot out of their reach. "Otto" didn't get up - his hind toes "rwinkled" and he slid along on his sternum until his tongue was able to make the meat magically disappear.)

On nights when it was his turn to sleep in our house instead of out in the kennels: When I went to bed he would settle down on the floor in the corner by the corner of the bed nearest my feet. When I woke next day,he was again there. But the pressed-down loops on the candlewick bedspread showed that, once I was asleep, my wife had quietly signalled him to lie between us. So he obeyed - but he knew that that was not with MY permission, so as soon as I started to stir he quietly returned to the floor area HE had chosen.

• "Back when I had a dog my mom never let him on the couches or bed because she thought he was dirty."

Do you have ANY evidence that his coat WASN'T usually dirty?

• "We figured out that he would sleep on my moms bed everytime we left the house lol"

Possibly - but unlikely.

What - if any - EVIDENCE do you have that he HAD leapt onto your mother's bed as soon as you all left home? It would make more sense if he slept on your father's bed or your bed until he heard the vehicle return.

🐩🦮UPDATE🦮🐩 for [Asep]:

Birds can lay eggs. So can fish and insects. But dogs can't lay anything - they LIE down.

Your response to my query about "dirty"? To avoid having to repeat yourself, your responses should be ADDED to your question.

🦮🐩UPDATE🐩🦮 for [Verschengro]:

Actually, doors were created to keep rain & wind & wolves OUT, to keep heat IN, and to give parents privacy for "adult activities".

Yes - incompetent trainers DO have to keep their doors shut. Any competent shepherd would select a dog that was easy to TRAIN, as Jeannie & I did.

King Les The Lofty - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

It doesn't bother me and shouldn't bother anyone else.

I would hate that

Sensible: Unlike those that do allow their dogs on their beds and sofas, are.......

...... Wait til it gets a few ticks or fleas and  you will realise the hard way when you face the  fumigation costs and upset involved.

I don't want dogs on furniture or my bed. They go out & roll in the dirt & bring that into the house, I'll be damned if I want that dirt in my bed or on my furniture. When they get a bath they go roll in the dirt & it becomes mud. Rain brings big hunks of clay between toes & big pad. They are just to dirty. I have a severe cause case of dust cause the shake when in the house.

They are heartless freaks. Ok ok maybe not.  I guess it's not as bad as people who do not allow dogs in the house.

My dogs are all welcome on my bed. They are allowed to sit on the sofa and arm chair too. They tore up my matress and sofa, but I dont care. I love them and it's old furniture anyway. Plus you just gotta cover it up. Np.

My dogs also have dog beds and blankets to lay on. Dogs prefer the floor too because its cooler.

Any true dog lover loves their dogs snuggling up at their feet to sleep and sides.

I respect some people's wishes. Like I said, as long as the dog is allowed in the house to sleep.

I dont "think" anything of it. Its not cruel to the dog to stay on thw floor... Its a means of setting boundaries, or to keep the furniture clean.

Its their furniture and their pet... Not my buisiness if they allow their pets there or not

My mom doesn't, but she also has a pool that her dog swims in nearly every single day. She wouldn't care otherwise, but because she's constantly wet at any given time, this is a no-no for her. I let my pup up on the couch and the bed. He's pretty clean and we have this amazing fur-catching glove that gets hair out of EVERYTHING. So I'll do a sweep in the morning and one at night and we're good.

• Bee V3

I think that's dumb. Why have a pet if you think they're dirty? They should be treated like family