Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 2 months ago

would I get a ticket for speeding if I only do it for 5 seconds?

sometimes, there is an oncoming train and the train always slows down so I have to wait even longer. Some times I speed up and beat the train. How much is a speeding ticket if I only do it for a few seconds, what would be a good defense to tell the judge?

I'm in Florida 

• Bruce

What you describe is illegal under two different Florida Statutes. 

First of all, five seconds is plenty of time for the officer to clock your speed. It is highly unlikely the judge would give you any consideration for racing a train. 

Secondly, the officer doesn't even have to clock your speed. If you don't noticeably slow down, you can be cited under this statute:

316.183(4)(a) The driver of every vehicle shall drive at an appropriately reduced speed when approaching and crossing an intersection or railway grade crossing

Just tell the judge your stupid and don't care about the public's or your own safety. 

'

That is a real stupid answer and should get the judge laughing so hard he will take your license away before you kill someone.

I'd continue to go with the stupidity defense.

Legally, you can  be cited for exceeding the speed limit long enough to be noticed.

Practically, YOU wouldn't know if you were ONLY exceeding the speed limit for 5 seconds.

If you tell this story to a judge, they will get a good laugh after issuing your sentence for a charge that makes speeding seem like nothing.

You wont be charged with speeding, it would be more like reckless driving. Trying to beat a train is a very risky gamble. If you lose, you lose big. If you get a ticket for reckless driving it may cause you to lose your license. If someone is in the vehicle with you, you could be jailed for this.

No. But if the dash between you and the train is a draw.......You lose. Better to be late.

Peace.

• Kieth

"I was speeding because I wanted to race the trsin." Fabulous . Have your checkbook ready.

• audrey

Then you will get another ticket for trying to beat the train.

You can usually get off a speeding charge if you can show you were acting reasonably in the interests of public safety.  Racing a train doesn't count.

• Jim

Tell the judge you were trying to beat the train and you were only speeding for 5 seconds. I'm sure that will get you off the hook.