Is it legal for Instacart to let customers take their tip away after delivery up to three days later?  This is such a sketchy practice.?

Not just me, but many independent contractors who work the instacart platform have had tips taken away up to three days after completing a batch (instacart lets customers modify tips up to three days after delivery for whatever reason) and it obviously affects earnings.  To any lawyers or anyone with knowledge on the issue, is this even legal?  Instacart presents tips as part of the offer, and as such we use that FULL number INCLUDING TIP to determine whether to take work or not.  I feel that letting customers take a tip away/zero it out, etc after work is done is not only unethical, but possibly illegal and would like to get some insight on this.  You don't go into a restaurant three days after you've eaten there and tell the manager, "you know, my waiter/waitress three days ago didn't do such a good job, I'd like the tip I left him/her back please."  you'd be laughed out of the place.  So why are sketchy instacart customers allowed to do that in the first place.  They should only be able to up the tip for good service.  Is there any case here, I just had a tip taken away last night, no reason why, instacart doesn't show any reason except "customer modified the tip post delivery."  Tip baiters are the worst of the worst on the platform and unfortunately you're stuck praying for three days after you complete work that all your tips stick.  Any insight you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

I think it’s shady that Instacarts asks users to offer a tip before receiving the service.

It is legal to let customers decide wait until after receiving the service to decide whether or not to tip. In a restaurant, the customer does not even offer a tip until after they have received and eaten the meal.

However, in a restaurant, the tip is not part of the offer. I am not sure if it is legal to present tips as part of the offer, specifically because they are not guaranteed. You should bee deciding whether to take work based only on the guaranteed pay (not including the tip), and then if you get a tip, that's something extra, a bonus on top of what you were promised.

• audrey

That is totally WRONG and should not be allowed.