Best way to disinfect and reuse N95 respirator?

Before you jump into writing I should not reuse, just dispose of the mask, please don't.  

It is impossible to find masks, gloves, I'm running out of hand sanitizer and I'm distilling ethanol from vodka tomorrow, it's that desperate.I found one new N95 respirator in my tools box and I plan to use it to go buy groceries etc. After use I plan to wash it with soap, rinse it off with hot water and leave to dry on a radiator.Any ideas on how to do this better? 

• Edna

You did NOT find a new N95 mask in your tool box. They are manufactured specifically for use by the medical profession. If you want one, you have to buy it from a store that sells medical supplies.

If you wash it w soap and rinse it off with hot water you are going to ruin it and it won't work anymore for its purpose.

You might spray some disinfectant on it, I suppose (a friend in an Italian hospital had to do that because they don't have lots of medical supplies) but there's still the chance that the mask is not able to keep the virus outside, because these masks weren't made to be reused, therefore there's not really a safe procedure to keep reusing them.

I hope in the future the companies that produce this type of masks come with a technology that allows them to desinfect in something /with something.

Right now your best shot is to be careful not to touch the front part (the part that goes outside) and be careful when you put it on and off, because it has to be done w a special technique in order to not contaminate them (i think there must be a video on youtube about how to put them on).

leave it at the entrance where no one else can take it.

The mask won't do anything if you go outside and you still touch surfaces and then touch your face, or if you don't keep a physical distance of 6 ft /1.5 m from other people, especially sick people or if you don't wash your hands/use sanitizer after touching a potentially contaminated surface. Look at health care workers, they are still getting sick too.

I get that it's your only one, but it doesn't matter how you wash it because it's not going to work anymore after you do. It will still function to keep droplets away, but if the virus can be airborne, the washed mask will be too porous to keep it out.

It seems to be unknown, at this time, if airborne transmission is possible.

Water will make it worse. If you have a uv-c lamp, that’s the best option. All you need is about 10 minutes of exposure to kill the corona. 

Considering the quality of them, I think that would ruin it. Do you have an aerosal disinfectant? Or maybe rub it with hand sanitizer? Obviously neither of these solutions is recommended but it's better than what you're suggesting IMO.