promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 2 months ago

COVID-19 vaccine?

News sources say a vaccine wont be ready until the end of 2020. why is it taking so long.....7-8 months more of quarantine and rise in this panademic is going to hurt a lot of people.....families....jobs......how long is this going to last?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

The best estimates I have seen say that a vaccine won't be available until the fall of 2021 at the earliest. It takes time to develop and test vaccines for safety, which is what is happening now. It's a process that can't be rushed, no matter how much people think it can.

I think it's very likely that we are headed towards a global depression, not a recession as some have said. And China is mainly to blame for starting this whole catastrophe. They've had lax policies about selling wild animals at the same markets where they sell meat for YEARS, even decades, and this time, that practice came back and bit them right in the ***. Those markets have been closed down now, but that came too late to save hundreds of thousands of lives. Before the pandemic, I always had a fair amount of respect for the Chinese. I don't now. They are not interested in the rest of humanity, only themselves.

As for the pandemic itself- it's going to get far worse before it ever starts to get better. I even think that Trump is being overly optimistic when he says we can keep the death toll to around 100,000 people. I think it's going to go much higher than that. I also think that there will be a second wave of infections once this first wave finally dies down. That happened with the Spanish flu a century ago- there were relatively mild waves in the spring and summer of 1918, and people became really complacent about them, thinking the danger was over. Then in the fall, the third wave hit- and before it was all over, between 50 and 100 MILLION people DIED. I think that this is what will happen with the corona virus. We'd best get ready for it now, while we can.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Staying at home and relax.

• 2 months ago

If you are experiencing symptoms take a cough drop and place it under your lip beneath the affected sinus. Usually it will be the right sinus. Allow of it to slowly dissolve and avoid falling asleep with it still in your mouth (choking hazard). This will strengthen your liver so that it will eliminate the active metabolite. It will also abate the process of the mucous production that make the condition contagious. You should be well within minutes of this treatment. For young children unable to place it under their lip, dissolve the cough drop with a teaspoon of water and place it in the microwave to help it dissolve. Take about 1/4 teaspoon of flour and make a batter. Place it in the microwave for about a minute. And, while it is a little warm scrap off a strip and place it under the child's upper lip. If the child eats it then tell them not to if they can understand and make it a little game to see if they can hold it. It may take a couple of sessions before you notice the absence of mucous. The child should be well by the next morning. At the sign of the runny nose repeat this treatment.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

why is it taking so long?

Because reality is complicated. The first vaccine (against smallpox) was discovered by accident. We've come a long way since then, but luck and guesses still play a big role.

Suppose we have a potential vaccine. We try it in a test-tube. That takes time. The law requires us to then test it on animals (in which things may happen differently. If chocolate had been tested on dogs, it would have never reached the market). Then it needs to be tested on humans. So you give it to your test-subjects, and then bring them into contact with the virus itself.

It takes two weeks for symptoms to show, and some people may not even show any symptoms even if they do have the virus....

Maybe there will be a vaccine in a few months, maybe there still won't be one in a decade. All we can do NOW is flatten the curve so our hospitals won't be flooded with patients and essential parts of the economy can keep functioning. Once "everybody" has had the virus and recovered, we can return to normal life

• ...Show all comments
    • Starlight 1
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Terry, that's not true. All we have to do is make a vaccine for each strain, the same way we do with the flu viruses. As long as there are no more mutations, vaccines should work.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Jim
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

So far there's no vaccine to SARs or the common cold after 20 yrs, I have to tell you this, there might not be a true vaccine. But there might be herd immunity and some other methods to help sick people.

• Ted K
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

"News sources."  You mean sources other than Trump--'cause HE'S the one who told people that we'd have a vaccine quickly.  Look, don't listen to him--he's an idiot, a complete imbecile, and his "press conferences" are nothing more than a substitute for his silly high school pep rallies.  This is all about the campaign for him, and he'll promise the moon if he thinks it'll help him, then when called on that he'll not only deny he made that promise, calling it "fake news," but he'll tell whoever asked him about what he'd said that they're asking a "nasty question."    Vaccine development takes a long time.  That's just the way it is--that's the reality.  There's no vaccine equivalent to fast food--you can't just roll up to an order window and press a button and have it your way.  So stop paying attention to whatever Trump says--he's about as useful as t!ts on a bull--he doesn't know what he's talking about, his remarks do NOTHING to help right now.  Listen to the docs and the scientists. They may not be telling you what you WANT to hear, but they're the ones giving you the straight story--and that's what we ALL need right now.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

flu vaccines are grown in eggs and to grow the required number of doses is a daunting task.  In typical years, scientists have to guess about a year in advance which flu strains are likely to be the most prevalent and your flu shot is made up to fight those 4 strains.  if they are wrong, you  have a vaccine that doesn't do  much or any good.

Maybe they'll come up with a faster way of making the vaccine.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.