Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 4 months ago

Why am I not getting an Internet connection?

I brought my work computer home. I have the ethernet plugged in that CPU and I get a connection. I unplug it and plug it into my laptop and I don't get a connection. Why? Also I plug the ethernet into my Wi-Fi and I don't get a connection either, why?

For some reason one ethernet cable would work for the work computer and not the Wi-Fi and another ethernet cable would work for the light Wi-Fi but not the work computer.

• Bort

Ethernet is probably disabled. Enable it. Turn the wi-fi stuff off or login to your wi-fi and use it instead of a cable. 

I am having a same problem. I am running Ecommerce store of watch selling products through my site https://expertwatchman.com and it demands me to have internet connection all the time for clients. Now how can this problem be resolved?

Are you going directly to the modem or through a router?   A modem that does not have a router built in will IGNORE any strange device till it hasn't heard from the original one for 3600 seconds.

Also, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use a router.

• keerok

Settings. You have to have the right settings.

i would ask your job about it

check the IP settings on your laptop and may sure they are set to DHCP.  This allows your laptop to be assigned an IP address from the router. 

Restart modem and computers as well. If you still get no connection than release IP number from your computer as old IP number is stuck on network card so it does not accept a new one that is now coming from your modem