Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 2 months ago

Im being made fun of being a "horse girl" help?

Im being made fun of a school for being a so-called "horse girl"? I ride horses a lot and have my own horse, but I would like these comments to stop. I bring up something about my horse or a riding accident I've had, and they say a thing like "Eww Horse Girl" or "Horseback ridings easy, it's for wimps" Any great comebacks I can say back to roast them or get them to shut up?

• Snezzy

I married one. Our lives are horses, horses, horses. My horse girl says, "If they cannot accept you as you are, then they are not friends. They are merely bullies."

Even when I was in grade school, and two girls down the street would ride by on their horses, I would feel a bit of envy, and asked my mother for a horse. No, I didn't get a horse, not until I married my wonderful horse girl decades later. I married one wife and three horses. Now we have 20 of them.

Keep horses as your own secret, and find your own special friends who can understand all the good things about horses. Those dummies at school do not deserve more than a brief moment of your time. Your horses will keep you out of trouble when those disrespectful others are going out and doing bad or useless things. 

If you really need to complain to someone about your problems with other people, talk to your horse. He will listen patiently and will not make any snide remarks, except maybe, "Where's my feed?"

• Snezzy

I'm getting fairly good at writing encouraging answers about horses. How do I do it? All the stuff I've learned from my wife and her horses!

A comeback won’t help. Just don’t talk about horses or horse stuff at school. If they don’t get how great horses are then they won’t ever get it, and a comeback will just go over their heads and they still won’t understand the horse thing. Save the horse talk for the people you know that are into horses and can appreciate it. If you don’t have any horse friends then try joining a trail club or something or working/boarding at a barn. (Not sure how old you are but if your at least 16 they you might be able to muck stalls somewhere.) Meet some (nice non-competitive) horse kids your own age and be friends with them. 

If nothing else then screw all of them, you have a horse. 

I still can’t find a better person to hang out with and talk to then my horses. Most weekends I’ll ditch my horse friends and opt for a solo trail ride or camping trip with my dog and horse. People can be  unnecessarily exhausting.

I went through High School with the same thing even teachers would make fun of my love of horses and how much I loved my horse. One student and his friends respectively bothered me about it and said nobody is a good rider since you can jump on a horse for the first time and start jumping courses. So I asked them in front of the whole class. When jumping how do you correctly jump a broken line without knocking a rail. They obviously didn't know and had no comeback they never made fun of me for loving my horse and my love of horse riding again.

Just keep it separate from your school activities and talks with other students. Perhaps you talk about horse to much, they don't understand it, like I don't get the hoopla with video games. Kids can be cruel and don't try a comeback, it will make things worse, they will know it bothers you. Find some new friends perhaps.

• Amber

Maybe you've become a bore and keep bringing this topic up. That gets really annoying, and the way people try to tell you that is to ignore your comments or act unimpressed with comments or teasing. Stop talking about it with this group.

I am not trying to pick on you, but maybe you could talk about something other than horses with that particular group of people? They don't understand your passion, and because of that they don't know how to respond other than with insults. If you try going at them it is just going to escalate. Do you have anyone that you ride with that shares your passion? Maybe a group? Why not start a club with those people and then you can discuss your love of horses as much as you want, and save regular conversations for the other people. I hope things work out for you, it sucks rocks when people don't understand when you have a passion and they don't.

You aren't going to silence people with comebacks no matter how good they are. My suggestion is to stop talking about the subject all together since that seems to be the catalyst to these immature reactions. Second, if they continue to say things like "horse girl" just ignore them. Once they see that you aren't upset or bothered by it, they'll stop doing it. Horseback riding is actually a very cool pastime. I think they are just jealous of the fact that you are getting to do it and they aren't. Talking about it just causes their jealousy to surface in their immature behavior.

Try to refrain from talking about horses and referring to riding  accidents and they should stop.  Not everyone is interested in horses and perhaps you have become a 'horse bore'. 

Broaden your horizons, talk about other things.