David
David asked in SportsFootball (American) · 2 months ago

Are These the Top Three Quarterbacks ever? 1. Warren Moon 2 Donovan McNabb. 3. Randall Cunningham. Or Do Some Recent QBs Supplant Them?

Sorry, I meant to specify black quarterbacks.

I would agree with Warren Moon being #1.  I am NOT high on Cunningham or McNabb.

I would put Steve McNair 2nd, and I think I would put Russell Wilson third even though he's still nowhere near the end of his career. 

I think we all know Patrick Mahomes will top this list sooner than later.

My problem with McNabb and Cunningham is that they both really never evolved beyond being athletes to become quarterbacks.  I shouldn't say that, Cunningham did in his Vikings years at the very end. 

But Moon was a great passer.  Not a 'great black passer', but 'great passer', full stop.  I think that until you factor in this latest generation of QBs (where guys are playing SO deep into their late 30s and 40s AND putting up crazy stats) I would have put Moon in the top ten QBs PERIOD.

McNair was a runaround guy in the first half of his career, but became a legit good play action pocket passer later on.  Unfortunately, injury and mileage caught up with him.  

Russell Wilson is playing a lot of run-around ball, but he's almost always running to throw, and he show the ability to dissect defenses from the pocket in a way that Cunningham and McNabb just didn't.

• David

Thanks for your comments about McNair and Wilson.  You make some good points.

How could you leave off Doug Williams? 

• David

Williams led the Redskins to a Super Bowl win.  But his career numbers don't come close to the three I mentioned.  Even so, I have respect for him.

Blacks usually stick to basketball

• jared

Warren Moon for sure is high up there. I think you can make an argument for Vick tbh, only because his speed at the QB position is unlike anything we've ever seen, and had a huge impact on how teams drafted on both sides of the ball. If you didn't have fast(er) linebackers, you had no chance in hell of catching him. If there was no Mike Vick, would there ever have been a Patrick Willis type ? You know, a 6'2", 250 pound FREAK at MLB that basically ran low 4.4 ?

1 Brady 2 Montana 3 Probably Bardshaw

none on your ;list won a superbowl

• Stretch Armstrong

you do realize there are 45 other men on the active roster and an additional 7 men that contribute to the TEAM winning a Super Bowl. QBs don't win without a lot of help

• Bob

Right now they are probably the top three black quarterbacks in NFL history,but Russell Wilson and Patrick Mahomes will likely end up having had better careers than all three of them.I don't have any of them in my top 10 NFL quarterbacks in NFL history.

• Bob

not the same ( in my opinion, and I think it's safe to say that most football fans agree with me) the same as doing it in the NFL

When it comes to subhumans playing QB, Daune Culpepper actually has the highest career passer rating, 87.9, which is good for 27th place. Yet Pep was nothing but a big arm and small brain.

Moon had a couple of nice years with Houston but, overall he was nothing special, as his rating of 80.9 (68th all-time) indicates.

The McNabb boy, who is a legend in his own mind, had a career rating of 85.6 (38th) but is best known for helping his team lose 2 Super Bowls.

Even Cunningham (81.5, 63rd) was better than Moon but he's best known for coming up small in the playoffs.

Of the 3 subhumans you mentioned, McNabb is the best and even he is forced to the back of the bus behind Culpepper.

• 2 months agoReport

Fumble-fingers Daunte had an MVP calibre year in 2004.  Unfortunately for him, Peyton Manning had a year for the ages that same year.

Moon was good for the longest time....the rest were fairly brief. For longevity I'd put Brady, Breze, Phillips and Blanda ahead of them.