with computer shops shutting down, what if the worst should happen and your computer breaks down?

because of the blasted coronavirus situation, computer repair shops have closed in the uk.............but what if you have a desktop computer like me, that you rely on...because you live alone, have no relationships and support network, are isolated and need your computer as an outside connection, diversion etc - and it breaks down or the hard drive fails etc?

thankfully this has not happened to me yet, but what if it should?

especially, like me, you only have one computer and not another one to use?

i need my computer and the internet to stay sane, in this self isolation period, i live alone in a flat and have no other real distraction or diversion, the tv is pure and utter sh1t now, so that is no escape.

You'd either need to find something else to do or figure out how to fix it yourself. If you live alone, that's what you do. You fix it yourself.

Maybe consider getting a phone that can access the internet while your PC is still functional? So you have another means of communication or a way to research if something does happen.

Depends on what fails and how. If hardware fails, like the PC doesnt boot, it usually requires process of elimination (in the case of not booting, it also means testing known good hardware), and then ordering the faulty part on Amazon. Be weary of delays with shipping as Corona has affected Amazon. If it's a software issue, like Windows wont start, you should have a reinstall media handy to boot into Advanced Troubleshooting to try and restore the PC in the safest way before reinstalling Windows. Never reinstall Windows first. Always look for the safest way to restore Windows without a fresh install, unless you have had a virus. If you get any virus, that will not clean itself with an antivirus, (Ransomware, Rootkit) reinstall Windows immediately.

Source(s): IT Tech for 2 yrs
  • Terry

I am going to get one of those minis, an NUC type. They are pretty affordable, and will stream T.V and run my magicjack phone. I`ll probably use that instead of the monster gaming desktop all the time. Hook them both to an LAN switch. Then have a backup, at least, if one breaks down.

• Judee

I'd be devastated because I don't have T.V.  I use the computer for sensible use and necessary use but also for entertainment.  It would be a huge blow to me if I couldn't use it at this particular time.

i'd fix yours for free if shipping wasn't an issue.

• User

I'll use my backup PC

until the part I need to repair my "main" PC arrives in the mail.

If it is not a hardware problem with your computer, the best advice I can give you is to just keep googling the problems you are having. also, try youtube for possible help.

• martin

Go on Amazon, click what you want, and get it delivered.