Karina asked in PetsCats · 10 months ago

Sarcoptic Mange in Cats?

My cat was diagnosed with Sarcoptic mange yesterday. He received two injections: Ivermectin and Cerenia. He also received a dose of Revolution, and sent me home with 2 more doses. The second dose in 2 weeks and the third dose two weeks after. My cat is still itchy and scratches its face and ears. I see new areas around his face that look crusty/moth-eaten like. Is the sarcoptic mange still spreading? When will the skin on his face start healing? By when should the itching and scratching stop?

It will take weeks to notice an improvement.

As part of the healing process all the scabs fall off and it looks worse with open wounds and hairless patches.

Generally the mites are dead well before then  and it is actually part of them getting better.

It just looks much worse.

Source(s): Treating wombats for same thing.

all these questions should be directed at your vet, not strangers.

Call him and ask.

While you are asking, see if benedryl is safe for cats. it can help with itching which it does in dogs with skin issues.

BUT ASK YOUR VET.

Your cat went to the vet YESTERDAY. Do you think it's going to be healed overnight?? Ask your VET if you have questions.

Shame on you for letting this poor cat free roam. He probably feels horrible thanks to you.

Those are questions for your vet, but it's unreasonable to see an instant improvement in a condition like that. It's been a day since the treatment. One day.

A mosquito bite doesn't even heal in a day.

ring the vet. he may need to go and see the vet again