Gold asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 weeks ago

Is it normal to bake cakes in the microwave?

• denise
    1 week ago

Its something I haven't mastered, When I tried it rose over the container and was 'hard'. Baking in my oven has better results.

It is normal if you don't have oven.

It is possible to bake a genuine cake in your microwave as a quick alternative to conventional gas or electric oven baking. Bake an entire cake in the microwave for a birthday or party, or make fun personal cakes in a coffee mug for a great after-dinner dessert.

If it's a mug cake then yes. A mug cake seems to be a trendy way to make a cake in the microwave. However I would say if it's a regular sized cake then no it's not the usual way to bake a cake. I think a regular sized cake wouldn't bake evenly and have a  rubbery texture. 

• Clive

No, but it's possible.  Obviously you can't do it in a metal tin (never put anything metal in the microwave - you could get sparks and those could blow the cavity magnetron, at which point it is time to buy a new microwave oven), but it will work in a non-metal container.  The cake won't go brown on the top either because it's not cooking in dry heat, but you will get perfectly edible cake.

One thing I have done, and this is good cooking fun for kids, is make sponge puddings in mugs.  Make sponge cake batter, just a standard one of equal weights of flour, butter, sugar and eggs, with baking powder if you aren't using self-raising flour. Fill well-greased mugs only halfway, and cook.  It should take about 2 minutes for one mug and you can see the batter rising up the mug.  Fun for all the family and almost instant hot cake for dessert to eat with whatever sauce you like.

Now this is really a superfast development of something I know well as a Brit - steamed sponge pudding.  Same thing, make sponge batter, in a well-greased pudding basin or Pyrex bowl you could put in a little lemon curd or golden syrup first to get lemon or treacle pudding, batter in, cover, and steam, but this will take at least 2 hours.  The microwave will essentially steam it from the inside much much faster.

(I like suet puddings even more but don't even think about those if you're trying to lose weight.  On a cold winter's day, stuff that, gimme pudding.)

Can it be done, yes, is it normal no

• 🦋

i never heard of that before, wouldnt that cause a spark

• Clive

Why would it cause a spark?

I don't usually bake a cake in the microwave but I have made "mug cakes and mug brownies" in the microwave. 

There are special cake pans that are intended for baking cakes in the microwave. 

Just like it is not typical to bake a cake in a slow cooker or a pressure cooker  or a Dutch Oven it can be done. 

No, it's normal to “bake” cakes in an oven. You can't “bake” anything in a microwave.

@Clive - I don't have a personal definition of “bake”, I just use the one that's been around since I was a child; the one any literate person uses.

“Bake” means, more or less, to cook using dry heat, normally in an oven. A microwave does not produce heat.

• Clive

Why?  What is your definition of baking?

what no it’s not normal