Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOrlando · 2 months ago

Coronavirus and planned Disney world trip: What are the odds this is happening?

My wife and I live in Tampa, and have purchased 5 nights in a Fort Wildnerness cabin, and 3 round trip plane tickets for the end of August.

We made the purchase in January.

Our plan was to fly down our daughter, son in law and 11 year old granddaughter so our granddaughter can experience all Walt Disney World Parks and the nightly movie at Fort Wildnerness, just like her mom did when she was that age.

Bearing in mind this is the one in Orlando, we live nearby in Tampa and they'd be flying down from Virginia.

Given it's a long way off, in August near the end of her summer vacation, but the way things are going with coronavirus, what are the odds this is going to happen?

Officially, Disney parks are closed through the end of the month, but they are almost certainly NOT reopening in April, and I'd be surprised if it happened in May. I expect they'll be announcing a longer minimum closure period any day now.

• Mrsjvb

I’d give it a 40% chance the parks will be up and running by then

There's a pretty good chance your trip will be fine

I also have a vacation planned for August. I have a feeling by then things will calm down a little if people continue to quarantine now and do what they're told. But then again, i'm just guessing. You never know. But good luck and stay healthy

• Cogito

There's no way to even make a guess.

Like everyone else, you're just going to have to wait and see how this all pans out.  

I know it's disappointing - I was planning to go with my daughter - but at a time like this, when people are dying in their hundreds, we all need to deal with the reality of survival rather than worrying about vacations.

It's impossible to say. Some expect the crisis to ebb in May, but then there may be a second round of infections, as people start getting out again. The good news is that the airlines are being more flexible in giving refunds than they typically are. 

It is very likely the crisis will have passed well before August. 

There's no need to cancel. By the time August rolls around, we'll all be dead or if the virus is still active, you wouldn't be able to go anyhow. Just chill the **** out