Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicLyrics · 5 months ago

Is a song still copyrighted if I own the CD?

I was planning on using a song by Lady Gaga as my companies' theme tune, am I allowed? People say it's copyrighted, but I bought the CD with my own money, so surely, it should belong to me now?

I bought that CD, I paid what I needed to for the song, how is it not mine now?

No.  The copyright remains with Lady Gaga.

• Tony B

I don't know what you mean by a song being “copyrighted”.

Obviously, unless you're an idiot, copyright to a song belongs to whoever composed it.

You can't reproduce, post, copy or reproduce in any way a song, poem, #cript, screenplay, text etc unless you either own the copyright or have permission of the copyright holder.

Buying a recording gives you ONLY the right to play it for your own personal enjoyment. You have zero rights to the intellectual property. You cannot use the material for any commercial use without obtaining the permission of its owner.

Your purchase entitles you to use the song for your own enjoyment, nothing more. It does not entitle you to use for commercial purposes. Grow up.

• Dog

You didn't really buy a song. You bought a license to keep a copy of that audio data for your own use. Oh, and you bought a small plastic disc to keep the data on.

Its like if you pirate the cd. Its still the artists creation and legal influence, even if its on YOUR device. 

You're not really that stupid, are you?