promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 3 months ago

I have a 3 yo beagle. I just got a rabbit as a pet. How can I teach my beagle that the bunny isnt food? ?

He is crying out and whining  at the bunny. The bunny  has been in the cage the whole time. 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • patty
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

he's

obviosuly

thinking of his next meal

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

You IDIOT!    You have brought what is the normal prey for a Beagle (actually it's hare, but still) so good luck with that.   And you are stressing out that poor rabbit which is actually CRUELTY.   Take the bunny straight back because this ain't goint to work.   It's pretty cruel to the Beagle too.   Fwiw.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Rehome the rabbit.  Why would you bring home a rabbit knowing it is sometime the dog would hunt.  You can't train a Beagle not to hunt and the dog will stress the rabbit out.

• Sara
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

You have a dog breed specifically developed to chase, catch, and kill rabbits. You won't overcome hundreds of years of genetics.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 months ago

If he's crying and whining at the rabbit, you *must* teach him to stop. If his prey drive is too high, you won't be able to stop it. However if he is receptive to your training, then teach him to stop. If you actually can train him to behave well when the rabbit is inside the cage, then there is some hope that he can be trained on *how* to act around a rabbit. 

Some dogs can be trained to get along with rabbits. Some cannot. Whether or not yours can depends on two things: 1., he is obedient/trainable, and 2., his prey drive isn't too much to overcome. 

You can read more about this on the following page:

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/introducing-dog-...

Lv 7
    3 months ago

So, you decided to bring a rabbit into a home with a breed of dog that was developed specifically to hunt smaller prey like rabbits? What part of that seemed to be a good idea to you? With an adult beagle that is fixated on the rabbit, it's extremely unlikely the dog will ever peacefully cohabitate with the rabbit and I would strongly recommend returning the rabbit to wherever you obtained it. 

At minimum, the rabbit will need to be kept in a room separate from the dog with the door closed. Even then, it would not be unusual for the dog to continue to obsess about the rabbit and continue whining and vocalizing at the door. This behavior can be extremely stressful to the rabbit and even cause its death, and it's extremely likely that at some point there will be an accident and the dog will gain access to the rabbit and seriously injure or kill it. 

• 3 months ago

The rabbit needs to be kept away from the dog. If the rabbit is stressed in the current situation you need to close the door to the room he is in or if hes not currently in a room with a door you need to put him in a room with a door. The rabbit should always have floor time in a room with the door closed as well. Put up a baby gate so the dog cant slip in the room when you open the door. 

My dogs calmed down pretty quickly after the excitement of a new animal passed. After a few hours they completely ignored new pets. I'm sure your dog will calm down too once the excitement passes. He still can never be with the rabbit but he will hopefully stop obsessing over it. 

• Kenny
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Beagles were bred to hunt rabbits . It may not be an easy thing to do .

• Barry
    Lv 4
    3 months ago

The problem is the rabbit IS food and always will be. If your dog had been raised with a rabbit as a puppy it would be different.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.