Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 3 months ago

If I drop a college course do I to pay FAFSA right when I drop it?

I’m thinking of dropping one of my classes, I’m just wondering do I have to pay it back (FAFSA) when I drop it on the spot it? 

College is close for 2-3 weeks because of corona and no one is available to talk to

Many colleges have extended the drop date because of the virus. Email the financial aid office at your school. At some schools, the staff is still reporting to work. At others, they may be working from home. 

• MS

FAFSA is an application for financial aid.  It is not some place that gives you money or takes your money.  The details of repayment of any funds should be provided in the information you received with your financial aid package.  Talk to your financial aid office if you are still unclear.  Someone is surely still monitoring emails.

• Laurie

There is no such thing as “FAFSA money”.

FAFSA is the FORM you use to report your financial information when you apply for aid. FAFSA does not give you money.

The Dept of Education uses the FAFSA (form) to determine what federal aid you are ELIGIBLE for. That is ALL they do.

It is THE SCHOOL that determines what aid to offer you.

So, whether you have to pay it back depends on the type of aid you accepted, and the conditions attached to that aid.

You signed A CONTRACT. You should not have accepted ANY aid without knowing exactly what you were accepting, and which repayment conditions you were agreeing to.

So, it depends on the aid you received/accepted. Was it a Pell grant? A state grant? A student loan? A scholarship? A tuition waiver?

You need to read the contract you signed until you understand it.

Oh, and if dropping the class results in you being classified as less than full time, you may LOSE your eligibility for all or part of your aid.

READ THE CONTRACT YOU SIGNED when you accepted the aid.

Source(s): Former financial aid supervisor

Try an email message to the appropriate college office. You'll likely get a reply from someone working from home.

i would ask financial aids about it

• Mary

that would depend on if your college has dates that you have to drop courses by with no penalty fee or not. In Australia if we drop a course by a certain date we don't have to pay but I don't know what its like for you.