Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 2 months ago

My 14 year old daughter is awkward and an introvert. What should I do ?

Like last week at the soccer game she didn’t socialize with the other teens and one of the teens said her name and they started to giggle. I could hear them saying her name and giggling but she wouldn’t socialize with them. She also wears braces and glasses and she seems uninterested in sports, school dances, makeup, etc. she has beautiful clear skin but I wish she would wear mascara or eye shadow to make her blue eyes more noticeable and would allow me to get her blonde highlights since she has dark brown hair and a small nose with a big forehead. She has an oval shaped face but refuses my suggestions and she is chubby but also refuses to take an interest in cheerleading or dance. She did try Tennis and liked it. In her physical education class at school recently they worked on Dances and she was so bad from what I hear that they made her play volleyball with the boys and she is bad at that too. She even sucks at arts and can’t even understand science. How do I make her more extroverted , interested in makeup, good at science and sports, and for her to know how to continue a conversation when she starts it? 

Nothing.

She will likely grow out of it when she is ready.

You can’t get anyone interested in something they don’t like, for her to be good at PE and science you should get her a tutor or classes and there are clubs you can go to that help improve confidence.

Hate to burst your bubble, but not every teenage girl is into cheerleading, dancing, makeup etc. If your daughter is an introvert that is perfectly fine and acceptable, just accept her as she is. Same as if she was extroverted, that is also fine and acceptable. Stop trying to change her into how you feel/think she should be and love your daughter for who she is! I have teenagers, dd is 15 and introverted, whereas ds is 13 and extroverted, I love and accept both as they are. More important is to make sure she grows into a decent human being. Who knows maybe as she grows older she will become more outgoing, maybe she won't, who knows. As for the girls making snarky comments etc, that's how some girls are and it's down to their parents to teach them how to be decent humans. I'm sure there will be plenty of other girls that can be friends with your daughter and will like her for her 🙂 Also why on earth do you wish to put your 14 year old in eyeshadow and mascara, or have her hair highlighted? Just so you think she'll look more attractive and possibly attract a bf?? Just so she'll fit in more with the other girls in her class?? Stop trying to change her and let her be herself. 

she sounds depressed. i know i would be depressed too if i had a parent like you... always trying to change something that isn't broken...

How about letting her alone so she can live her life the way she wants? You had your chance to be Prom Queen and apparently blew it by the way you are working on your daughter.

I'll take our usual parenting troll for $1000 Alex.