Engine Issues?

Proud owner of a 2006 Jeep Wrangler. The engine has been acting strangely as of late, and I've never experienced these issues since I bought it.

To summarize, here's how it's been acting up for the past two months or so:

1) I can open the throttle just about all the way and it refuses to accelerate. The rpm will bounce back and forth between 2k and 2.5k over and over. Then, the rpm will suddenly climb to 3.5k or 4k.

2) It shifts into second gear just fine, but refuses to shift into third. This leads to the rpm spike problem described above.

3)The max speed I'm able to reach is about 50 mph.

4) As engine rpm and speed increase, a repetitive thumping/banging noise can be heard from the engine at about a rate of one per second.

5) I've been using noticeably more gas than usual.

I've had the codes checked and a P0133 was returned, a slow response from the #1 bank one oxygen sensor.

My best guess is that the faulty oxygen sensor is causing excessive fuel injection, drowning the engine and leading to the concerning behavior I described.

Is my hunch correct or is something more serious going on, something that entails costly repairs?

• GA41

I would also check the Mass Air Flow meter on the air intake.  The air flow is tied to the fuel injection.  If you are getting false air flow readings, it may be restricting fuel which would affect the RPM and gas mileage.  This would account for the vehicle not responding to the open throttle, poor fuel economy, intermittent rpm spikes, and the oxygen sensor giving variable readings.  The MAF sensor affect how Rich/Lean the fuel is burning. etc.  The shifting issue is a mystery.  It may be related, or it may be an unrelated problem.  I had a similiar problem and Got a MAF sensor from a similiar model from a junkyard.  It solved my problem.  One thing though, I would have expected a code to show the malfuction of the MAF sensor.

O2 sensor is "lazy".  Replace it.