brett asked in Games & RecreationBoard Games · 2 months ago

If you get lots of your pawns to the other side of the chess board can you switch each pawn for a better piece?

Yes and in most cases you choose a queen but there have been times when a knight is chose most often because it checks the opponents king. and on very rare occasions a rook might be chose to avoid a stalemate.

You can promote it to any other piece except a King.

yeah you can do it

Yes you can. That is why many people will try to save a pawn or two to reach the end of the other side.

yes you can Brett...........................

Yes. Each pawn can become another piece. They could all become Queens if you wanted.

When a pawn reaches the last row it promotes to a Queen, Rook, Bishop or Knight. And it doesn't matter how many pieces of that type are already on the board. It is possible to have nine queens, or ten rooks, or ten bishops, or ten knights.

So pieces are promoted, they are not exchanged.

If you are playing with real pieces (not on a computer) you may sometimes have to be creative in finding other pieces. If you get a second queen it is not uncommon to turn a captured rook upside down to represent the second queen. But you can use anything that will fit on the board as long as both players know what it represents.

But be careful. Once when we were little kids I was playing with my brother, and he was soundly defeating me, till I was left with only my King. But my brother decided it would be really grand to deliver checkmate with lots of queens against my solitary king (as little kids do). So he marched all his pawns down the board, promoting each one to a queen.

When he had five queens on the board I was stalemated. He turned an almost certain victory into a drawn game.

• Yavan

Theoretically, there could be nine Queens on the board. That would never happen unless you had a very cooperative opponent. Just avoiding mating your opponent would be a challenge. 

If you are able to move a pawn to the end of the board (Row 8 for White, Row 1 for Black), they are promoted to whatever piece you prefer (Rook, Knight, Bishop or Queen...  but to be brutally honest, everybody goes for Queens).

This is something more commonly to happen in the end-game, where players are more likely to give their pawns a "royal escort" (using their King as a form of protection) to ensure a safe promotion.

Each pawn that goes all the way across can be exchanged for another queen, bishop, knight, or rook.