when did vinyl records come out?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

The first vinyl records came out in the late 30's onward (it was either i think EMI or Decca that first came up with them) but they didn't take off until the 50's shellac 78 rpm records had been the prevalent format but were phased out in the late 50's because vinyl was more durable and could hold more music 

• lare
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

around 1950-55 the industry gradually shifted from lacquer records to vinyl as part of the move from 78's to EP and LP (45 and 33 rpm).  A few of the first long play records were lacquer but production quickly changed.  i don't think any 78s were ever made in unbreakable vinyl format.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

They came out in the second half of the 20th century.  Shellac was used in the first half of the 20th century and vinyl.was then used until they were replaced by plastic CDs in the 1990s.  For a while, both vinyl records and CDs were produced, but CD was so far superior that vinyl record production stopped. The cassette continued to be produced until the recordable CD debuted.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

By the early 50s the 33-1/3 LP album was vinyl and durable. The 78s were gone and with it, records that could break. The 45s were vinyl and durable. Except, if you left them in your car with the windows rolled up, they would warp in the summer heat.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

LPs and 45s arrived around 1950.  They were vinyl, but 78s had been made of vinyl for several years before that.  I'd say vinyl records appeared around the end of WWII.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.