When playing the piano or keyboard, do you have to play the same chord with both hands or can you play all combinations that sound alright?

I'm going to be learning, but cant find anything anywhere about how to play with both hands. Can I play say C with left hand and Em with right hand, then Am with left and Bb with right or are there rules to follow in music?

• Gregg

I've learned only to play the same chords in both hands except that I vary the sequence on the left  when I find it sounds better.

• Me2

"Can I play say C with left hand and Em with right hand" Yes, because you would by coincidence have the very common C major seventh chord. There are many similar instances, for example, F and C for FM9 (again, very common), and C7 and A for C13♭9 (uncommon in modern pop).

For most of these to make any sense, you'd need a music theory background a little beyond the basics. In Stevie Wonder's Sunshine of My Life, he plays B, E, D♯m, and then what looks like an F major with an A♭ bass, making it a weird F major/minor chord. Of course, all the theorists on the forum know it's a G♯(6♭9). G♯, not A♭, because we're in B major...

It's your choice. In today's music musicians choose their own chord progressions. Whatever sounds good to you.

A lot of people that try to learn without a teacher have a problem playing with both hands at the same time.  I normally would not play a F major chord with the right hand while playing a G minor with the left hand.  If you play an Am and Bb at the same time, you will be playing the notes A, Bb, C, D, E, and F at the same time.  I don't think that would sound very good.  I have seen music with a single bass note in the left hand that is not one of the notes of the chord being played with the right hand.

That's not really how a keyboard instrument is played. If all you're doing is accompanying someone else and playing chords then the same chord would be spread out over both hands.

That would be a small part of playing a keyboard instrument and very limited though.

If you are a beginner then you don't really need to worry about that yet. Just follow what your teacher teaches you.

Sometimes, you will play a melody in single notes in one hand, and chords in the other.  Sometimes, single notes in both - or chords in both. C major (CEG) and E minor ( EGB) blend because they have 2 of 3 notes in common - and the other one is not too odd.  A (A C# E) and Bb (Bb D F) have nothing in common - but I have heard repeated rapid alternations if those 2 - to indicate stress and suspense!  This is Music Theory - my undergrad and grad major. Like choosing shape and color in visual arts!

If you play Am and Bb at the same time it won't sound too pretty. lol. If "you're going to be learning", you'll learn all about harmony, so relax and take it easy. It takes a while. 🎹 🎵🎶 Enjoy! 🙂