Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesFord · 3 months ago

Do people only buy ford mustangs and other muscle cars because they can't afford a exotic car?

My neighbor has this mustang gt and he thinks he is cool because he has straight pipes on it. Every time i see a mustang i just think the person wants to look cool but can't afford a exotic car. What do you think?

Removing the mufflers is simply obnoxious. 

I owned a Mustang once. I liked the car, bought it, enjoyed it.

There are a lot of hidden costs in owning an exotic - on top of the initial purchase price.  Many require monthly maintenance (and you will have limited options of where you can take them - and the dealership may be your only choice depending on where you live).

Failure to follow the maintenance schedule can cause the vehicle to not run properly, can void your warranty, and (of course) cause the vehicle's value to depreciate sharply.  Insurance for an exotic can be astronomical, made worse if you drive it like it was built to drive and end up with speeding tickets (or worse).

A Mustang/Muscle car (on top of being more affordable) can be worked on by nearly any mechanic (including the owner if they are relatively mechanically inclined), parts are more readily available (both OEM And aftermarket), and insurance is far more reasonable (if you can keep it in your pants).

A Shelby Mustang is an Exotic car your argument is invalidated!

ford mustang.. thats a secretary's car

I have a Mustang GT. It's great daily driver, good performance for the price, upkeep costs are average, and there's a ton of aftermarket for it. When I bought it, I was cross shopping with the BMW M240i, Scat Pack Challenger,  Camaro SS, MB C43 AMG, WRX STi, and the TT RS.  

The Mustang got the nod, because it was good at everything I needed in a daily driver and did it for less money. The BMW,Benz, and Audi were objectively nicer cars, but I didn't feel they were $20k+ nicer, and I knew their upkeep/reliability would be suspect once the warranty was up.  The WRX Sti was outdated, the Challenger was was comfortable, but unwieldy, and I didn't care for the interior in the Camaro.  The Mustang GT is jack of all trades, it's usually not the absolute best at any one thing, but it does alot of things well, and doesn't have any deal-breaking faults.  

• Barry

He's got your attention. So he has achieved his objective.

I have had an exotic car.  It was great handling, but 1/2 the time it would not start......for seamingly no reason.   Required a lot of very expensive maintenance.

I can understand buying a Mustang for its reliability and its affordability, as well as readily available parts.

You should ask this question in The Psychology Section.  

I don't think they remotely have the same type of buyer.