Record player sounding warped?

Hi, I've had a vintage Technics Hi-Fi tower with a turntable for a few years. It sadly hasn't been touched in about a year and half, and has been sat on a desk in my bedroom. The last time I used it before then it worked absolutely perfectly - sound quality was pristine. I've recently come to using it again, but every single record I play on it sounds warped - the pitch sounds wavey, and single notes are variating up and down. As I said, it worked absolutely perfectly before sitting for a year and a half. I've tried multiple records including friends' and they're all sounding the same so it's definitely to do with the player itself. Does anyone know what could be the cause, and what I could do?

a good bet it is rubber belt driven,rather easy to replace,search on line for one,specify the model number,and part number

possible also is a warped rubber on the outside wheel which imparts spin to the inside lip of the platter,maybe capped onto the hub is a pin

a hat shaped cap,or a cotter pin..remove the platter to inspect underneath

In a belt drive

If it is a belt-drive model, the belt should be replaced.  

After sitting unused for that much time, 

it has most likely taken a shape resembling its path

around the platter and motor pulley. 

Using the 'table or even running it for only a few minutes now and then 

could have prevented this occurrence. 

Whether it is belt drive or direct drive, the speed trimmer(s) 

located underneath the platter or on the bottom of the unit 

should be turned all the way from stop to stop several times,  

then reset so that the speed is precisely correct. 

They may need a bit of Caig Deoxit or some other good control cleaner, too.      

If it has a pitch control, that should also be exercised and possibly cleaned. 

Be sure it is set to its center position 

before making the final adjustments to the trimmer(s).      

If you need further help, find an audio repair shop in your area. 

If it's belt drive, then the belt has stretched or taken a set from sitting in the same place on the pulleys for a long while, If it drives through a jockey wheel then that's got a flat spot for the same reasons. Also any lubricant on the spindles will have hardened. Needs a service and perhaps some new parts.

• Newton

The motor or the rubber belt that moves the turntable is probably faulty. It may be an easy fix and you can do it by taking it apart, Could be there is a rubber belt in there and rubber will age with time. Oxygen can react with rubber and oxidize it and eventually destroys the rubber, making it fall apart. It may be as easy as replacing a rubber belt, but the part may not be available from the manufacturer. The cost of repair would probably be several twenty dollar bills because of labor. Technics is a division of Panasonic, and there may be a Technics repair center in your neighborhood. They may give you a free estimate of the cost of repair if you bring it in for them to take a look. I am not sure. It has been a while since I bring anything electronic in for repair. I now just throw them away and get a new or used one when they stop working. I usually take things apart to see how well made they are inside and also see if I can repair them before throwing them away.

Replace the stylus and cartridge.