Wayne asked in SportsAuto RacingNASCAR · 3 months ago

Anyone know much about Pocono Raceway or Bristol motor Raceway like to go to my first Nascar race?

Pocono is a tri-oval and a long track at 2.5 miles. However, the turns are sharper than at other tri-ovals, all are different, and the straightaways are all a different length. For this reason, they call it the Tricky Triangle.

I went to the 1982 Indy Car race there. From the main grandstand and with a good pair of field glasses, you could see turn 2, and the straightaways leading in and out of it, very well, so you didn't miss any of the action. Indy Car racing is different than NASCAR and I haven't attended a NASCAR event, but the track's reputation is that it is closer to a road course than a super-speedway.  That Indy Car race was definitely no snooze-fest.

Bristol is a short track with some of the highest banking on the circuit, and fans either love it or hate it. If you watch on TV, do you like the faster speeds of the super-speedways?  If you do, the racing at Bristol may be a disappointment, as the speeds are slower. However, there's more contact, a lot of jostling for position, and you rarely see the 'big one' that takes out ten cars like at Talladega or Daytona.

Bristol is also very loud, as it's a stadium. Pocono will not be anywhere near as loud.

I've never been to either one, but if I had to choose, I would go to Bristol.  The Pocono races are usually snoozefests.  Go to the night Bistol race.  Races under the lights are so much better.