Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 3 months ago

How fair is it for a school to hold a talent show competition for kindergarteners?

My daughter’s school held a talent show for kindergarteners. Although my daughter loves dancing but she hasn’t taken any formal training..but she wanted to perform a dance in the show. It turned out that the show would be a competition which seemed unfair to me and to many other parents. Some kids trained under a school teacher employed with the same school and of course they got selected.

My daughter and I worked together on the steps and what she performed was wholly solely her effort. Since she wasn’t as trained as the others she didn’t get selected. I felt terrible but I had to inform her about it. She also felt bad and was upset. Although I pepped her up but I was left wondering if it was fair on the school’s part to hold a talent show competition for such small kids.

I also don’t know how to keep the self confidence alive in my child

• L

NO WAY!  Kindergartners don't even know what they want to do when they grow up.  NO talent shows until high school.

• Willie

Not fair because many of them have flunked too many times.

Sounds okay to me.

• drip

At this age kids should have a chance to perform with out being judged.  This is where the parent voice can make a difference.  If the teacher and school principal where over run with parents calling in to voice their concerns things could change.   Don’t assume someone else will communicate. Or that you would be the only one calling so you think your call won’t make a difference.   

I have taught dance,   At the age of five no student is going to be that good in dance or music or what ever.   These kids should be encouraged to perform, to get up in front of others. To try new things. 

Sounds like some favoritism was involved, which should be brought to the principal attention. 

• Marli

I sympathize with you and your child. Not everyone can win a prize or be selected for a show; but she should have received praise and encouragement for the effort she made.

I don't think it was fair of the school to make 5 year olds compete against each other. It certainly was wrong not to praise the pupils in front of the whole school for doing their best.

Please tell your daughter that you are proud of her. I can remember how devastating losing a competition is for a young child. Encourage her to keep dancing. She may pout and cry; but if she knows you are proud of her for doing her best and hardest, and that you are glad to have helped her, that should eventually ease the sting. She might have felt she had disappointed you. Tell her that everyone feels failure and that one disappointment does not mean she IS a failure. More practice, and next competition may be a success or at least closer to success. She knows what disappointment feels like. She will be stronger for it.

Hey! That last line is the clincher! Cue hordes of reassuring answers.................

• Sir Caustic

Hordes? I was wrong. It was just "Marli"! Quelle surprise!

• martin

Your description says bad things about this school. There may be more bad up ahead in the future, so it's time to look for another school if possible.

• Mirage

I don't like the idea of it. In kindergarten it's about having fun while learning that's the main thing. This is basically saying at an early age that everything in life is a competition and have to be better than everyone else. On top of that only some are selected for the show, so not even everyone can take part so those who don't will probably feel bad. I don't know if this talent show is mandatory or not for the kindergartners. 

Competitions in kindergarten???  That's inappropriate if not obscene;  kids at that age don't understand each others strengths & weaknesses, different backgrounds . . or that they can't win every time.  Only explanation is demented, twisted teacher . . . .  or those who know some parents will bribe them to favor their kids and they're looking to make some money on the side.  Primary education attracts the underachievers and perverted dregs.......they don't care if they scar kids for life.