What are the quality of cassette tapes like?

I wanna get a couple of cassette tapes to play on my music system and was wondering how good is the quality of a cassette tape like compared to vinyl and cds

Depends on the quality of the Player and the quality of the tape. Generally cassettes have good bass, some tape hiss, again how much is a function of the player, what kind of noise reduction it has, and whether that reduction scheme was applied to the recording. Treble tends to be no better than (below) 16Khz., Usually the average sound clarity is a little less than or equal to an inexpensive record player's output. Cassette is a direct recording medium, allowing direct analog recording to tape from fairly compact and cheap devices, so there's that perk. Pre recorded tapes were generally not very good, just OK for casual listening. Tape types include ferric oxide, chromium (metal) and higher resolution formulas, but blank cassettes are not widely available anymore, and somewhat of a collector's item.

• chorle

As an Old Time Radio fan, I think it has great quality compared to what preceded audio tape. As someone from Gen X how often had them eaten by the cassette players, I have to say they were great for their time and the only reason I currently have any in my house is to see if the player works if I get a used car just like the first chapter of a Steven King book that now tried to play in my 20 year old pick before I can listen to the radio in it. 

So better than vinyl recorded in the 40s and better than waxed cylinders 

They're terrible, I don't miss them. And the having to rewind or fast forward was time- consuming

• keerok

Low dynamic range, good enough just for chillin'. IF you're seriously into Hi-fi, cassette just won't do - go vinyl. IF you're used to clean digital music, you'll hate tapes.

WHY, Really, I grew up wanting them and when I had enough CD came out. I spent enough on both to the point I subscribe to a music service now. Cassettes sucked!!!

• Tony B

The simple answer would be, terrible!

Generally even when new they sounded bad - they don't have the pops and clicks of a record but they have tape noise and a poorer dynamic range.

Over time the tapes stretch and shed oxide. If not played for a while they suffer from print through which results in a kind of irritating background chatter where loud parts of a part of the tape have copied themselves onto the part of the tape on the spool directly above and below.

Tapes snap, get twisted and jamb. Heads need to be regularly cleaned and periodically degaussed and, sometimes adjusted. 

There were two reasons why people used and put up with cassettes: 

You could record onto them (only bulky reel to reel machines allowed consumers to record.

They were a portable medium. A cassette player could be carried around with a set of headphones, could be taken on a picnic or onto the beach and could be fitted to a car audio system.

Cassette tape only able to reproduce frequency up to 12 KHz (normal type).

Metal tapes are able to reproduce up to 18KHz which is near vinyl's frequency response of 20KHz.

But metal tapes are expensive and you can't find any album on sale in metal tape format.

Even in the past when cassette tapes are popular, no recording company produce metal tape album.

Maxell metal cassettes are as good as vinyl. I have a few that are about 30 years old and still sound good. Other brands may not give such performance. CD's have a wider dynamic range. Cassette tape cannot match them.

• lare

cassette tape with pre-recorded album are much worse than either LPs or CDs. the only reason to have cassette is if you make mix-tapes or have tapes of music that is not otherwise available on CDs.

• +

Most of my home recorded tapes started sticking after a few years, so when playing them, the sound was distorted.  The pre-recorded ones seem OK, but only average quality sound.