Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 month ago

What would you do in this situation?

I have been a vegetarian for about 9 months now wanted to be for awhile but now meat just makes me sick my mom knows this and she seemed ok with it recently she bought fish. Honestly I feel like she is doing this to get a negative response out of me but it isn’t working because she has been saying she will make it the past few days but hasn’t yes also said so today I kind of just ignore it and assume it’s for her and my brother to avoid arguments. None of them seems to 100% to accept it they also can try to be in controlling I do buy my own food and have a fine diet so that is no issue. I just would like to know how to respond kindly? Because if someone does feed me meat all I can think of is slapping it in their faces again I thought I made it very clear that I am a vegetarian I kind of feel like she does it for attention.

@Coach Simon I am an adult however what I plan to do for my career job could take a long time could also cost 5-6 grand easily for its schooling and other stuff you have to do to get into it so it will take awhile. Thank you I will keep this in mind I literally don’t have the energy to argue at all honestly so I agree with you.

Assuming you are an adult - or not very far away - you have made your decision not to eat an animal (or fish or bird), and because your parents have brought you up to think for yourself (for which you are grateful), you hope that they will accept and respect that decision. Don't argue the pros and cons with them, it won't help - just make things worse. But DO make very sure that you know what you are doing nutritionally. 

Your mother is almost certainly doing what she feels is right for you because she loves you - not to spite you. She might feel a little upset that you don't agree with her about everything, and that is natural for parents, so try to think more kindly. Good Luck!

Meat is not making you sick. Its all in your head

Why should they accept it? You are making things up and need mental help and claim you should be allowed to assault people for giving you meat which is good for you.

Since you are an adult I'd drop kick you out of my house 

"What would you do in this situation?"

What I'd d in a situation like that, is say mom, I appreciate the concern you seem to have, but this is my decision, and I've done my homework/research/due diligence, to make sure I'm getting all of the essential nutrients to be healthy. Then be able to if need be show her where you're getting each of the essential nutrients. Also use good sources to back what you're saying, such as the National Institute of Health, the Mayo Clinic, Linus Pauling Institute, or whatever other research and/or nutritional facilities you have where ever you live, if you're not in the U.S. This is coming from a non vegetarian/vegan by the way. Those are some of the sources I use, that I know I can trust, versus some site, that's going to show a specific dietary bias.

Now if your mom is doing it for the attention, there's not much you can do about that, just be careful not to ignore her, if she feels she needs a bit of attention and a bit your time, just to talk. As for the brother, just say the topic is closed, and that you're not into arguing at the moment.

Get a life you 12 year old girl! 

Why the hell are you making this so much of a deal? Who cares. Eat it or don't.

• Coach Simon

Neither kind nor helpful. Why bother?