promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 1 month ago

Why does going vegan make me gassy?

I've been a vegetarian for about four years now and recently decided to take the extra step and go vegan. I've been doing the diet for almost two months now and I've been experiencing way more gas than I usually do, especially in the morning. I always thought that dairy foods cause a lot of gas but I completely cut it out and its having the opposite effect. Is this normal?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

If you upped your fiber intake, that will be the reason for the gas. You will need to either eat some fermented foods, like  kimchi or sauerkraut, or add a vegan probiotic to your diet, that will add fiber digestive flora to your gut, to help break down the fiber you are consuming. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Louis
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It is probably because you are eating more of somthing to make up for the dairy and eggs. My best guess it that you have increased your consumption of beans and/or dark green veggies. Try cutting back on those for a little while. Bean-O might help. 

For most transitioning vegans the bloating and gas goes away in 3 days to 3 weeks. 

• 1 month ago

you are probably eating more fiber than you did as a vegetarian.

• 1 month ago

Some people just need some animal protein in their diet. I've heard that Gandhi tried to be vegan and found it just didn't work for him, that he needed some dairy in order to function well.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Greens can cause lots of gas.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.