Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Are yorkshire terriers loud? ?

I am thinking to get one but my apartment is small. I just hope it wont disturb my neighbors, i mean i know dogs are meant to bark but i dont want constant sharp barks since i live in small apartment. Or can you suggest me any toy or small size dogs that arent that loud? 

If your apartment doesn't have a backyard, you are not ready for a dog yet. A dog needs a backyard.

Yes, Yorkies are well known as very yappy dogs.  They are big time "alarm barkers" - at the slightest sound.  Not suitable for tight apartment living. 

However, Italian greyhounds are small, quiet breed as are the larger Whippet.  Basenji are a bit larger than IG, and although described as the barkless dog, are not truly barkless (as some claim) they can sort of making yodeling sound, known as a "barroo".https://www.smalldogplace.com/basenji.html

Barking can be reduced  with training, desensitization, socializing, and plenty of daily exercise and mental stimulation.

Some other breeds to consider are Pugs, French Bulldogs, Pekingese,Havanese, Bichon Frise, Chinese Crested, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and the humble shelter mutt that suits you.

Puppies are generally much more difficult to raise in an apartment be ause of the lack of immediate outdoor access to help with toilet training. Rescues/Breed Rescues can help match you with the right dog for you and your living situation.

Check to make sure you're even allowed a dog in your apartment and get to know of the restrictions. Generally there are breed and size restrictions.

Here are some different articles on how to succefully have a dog while in an apartment; https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to.sucessgully...

• Amber

They have a very sharp bark that can become very annoying, but that's where training comes in.

They have a  very annoying high pitched piercing bark that will go right through you.My aunt has one.

My wife and I had one for 11 years and she( the dog) rarely barked at all. It all depends on the individual dog though I suppose.

Not if you kill them.