promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Can you still sue for discrimination if you are fired with no reason given during the probation period?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

You can but your right severely limited during probation. Good Luck. 

I was fired after 2 years for a seizure, boss Ed Jacobson lied  I would have to bring in witnesses, though.  and he'd fire them, too. And I Might get my job back BUT I didn't want it. He'd just find Another reason to fire me, too. Even though CA state law forbade  his first action.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

Sorry, but you won't be able to win that one.  Your employer decided you weren't a good fit during your probation period 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Of course you can sue.  In order to win you must PROVE discrimination.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Actually, they have to prove the firing was NOT illegal discrimination, if that is to be their defense.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

you can try doing that

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Sure, if you can prove discrimination, which you won't likely be able to.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

The employer has the burden of proving a valid non-discriminatory motive.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

That is why it is called a probationary period it gives the employer a chance to see if it is going to work out or not, and in your case I guess it didn't

And since you didn't go into the discrimination part of your question, I am betting you are wanting  to use that excuse for you being fired instead of owning up to the fact you were not worth the employers time to keep you on the payroll.

Employers do not fire valuable employees who come to work, do their job as shown, not late, and do quality work, I am betting you failed in at least 2 of the mentioned what makes a good employee.

You have no lawsuit, and only a money grubbing lawyer would take this case and only after you pay him his fees up front and are willing to be milked out of a lot more, because this is a non winnable case.

Good luck in your next job search

• Jeff S
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Nope and most employers cover their *sses by having an 'at will' clause on the application.

An 'at will' clause allows an employer to fire an employee at anytime for any reason! Doesn't matter how long you worked for them!

• ...Show all comments
    • Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

You can be fired for any number of illegal reasons, giving you the right to sue them, but only for money, not for getting your job back.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You can sue anyone for anything............ suing costs money and if you do not have proof of 'discrimination' you are wasting your time......... bearing in mind if they were discrimitory they would not have employed you in the first place

• 1 month ago

You can sue for anything... but if you can't prove it you will lose.

• Fuhr
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I'm sure there was good reason.  

• 1 month ago

To win you would need evidence of illegal discrimination.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

You only need enough to allow a judge or jury to infer that discrimination took place. Then the employer has the burden of proving a non-discriminatory motive for the firing.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.