I have a known donor. Now that the baby is here I'm afraid he'll want more. What can be done? Can he take me to court? Thank you?

We have an agreement that he can visit sometimes seeing that he helped me conceive and I know him. I don't want to co parent. 

He is not on the birth certificate. Live in Illinois.

Thank you. 

• Edna

It doesn't matter if his name's not on the birth certificate. If he wants to do so, he could demand a DNA test to determine paternity. If DNA test proves he's the father, he could sue for joint custody and visitation rights. After all, he IS the father.

Even if his name isn't on the bc he could always demand a DNA test to prove paternity and then take you to court for custody or visitation. This is why it's worth the expense to have a lawyer draw up your donor contract.

Prior to getting pregnant, you should have had an iron-clad agreement with your baby daddy. As in you agree to no financial support and he signed away his rights as a father. Unless you have done that, he has rights to his baby as the child's father.

• Clive

Donor of what?...

Any sort of contract? If no, then maybe he can.

I just have to ask: Why in the world didn't you obtain an iron-clad agreement before going down this road?

• Edna

I hope your agreement is iron-clad and was drawn up by a lawyer & signed BEFORE he became your donor. It doesn't matter how the baby was "conceived" - you used the guy's sperm. He IS  the biological father, and he can sue for partial custody & visitation rights.

Yep, he can sue for partial custody and he will win his case in court

Talk to a lawyer before he does

Get some advice from an attorney in your state to determine exactly what, if any, rights to the child the guy will have. He/she might need to look at the contract which should have been (?) written by an attorney. 

Most states have code sections (aka "laws") concerning assisted conception and the agreements (aka "contracts") which can be drawn up concerning the same. Ya ain't larnya none o' that... oh well. The dad can petition for a determination of paternity, legally become the father, and petition for custody, visitation, and possibly obtain child support from you. But don't worry....

• Maxi

Yes of course he can, he can take you to court a court ordered DNA to prove he is the father and get court ordered visitation and/or apply for custody and f course pay child support

• Edna

Ladybug, have you never heard of partial custody & visitation rights?  If he wants to, he can sue in Court for those & he'll get it because he IS the child's biological father. The fact that he receives SSDI is immaterial.