promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

When someone says "I am going on holiday to the beach" do they mean for a holiday or in some countries does on holiday mean on vacation?

I see people on here use the term. I am in America where holiday means a given special day for something like 4th of July or Christmas or even a small one like President's Day.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

In the UK there is no 'vacation', it's solely an American word. We go on holiday, not vacation. But it is also used for national 'holidays' as well. Perhaps the people you are referring to are British or from a commonwealth country?  

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

They mean the same.  I can't understand your confusiob

• RP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

While in the US and not accustomed to saying "going on holiday", when I hear that expression, I interpret it as going on vacation or taking time off, rather than literally being a reference to a non-work (holiday) day.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

In Europe going on holiday is going on vacation. In much of northern Europe most of a country will literally shutdown for the month of July, factories close, most government offices close down, etc and the people literally head for the sun. Which is why places like Mallorca, southern Spain, and the Black Sea beaches are literally swamped in July

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

In UK we go on our holidays (it was originally Holy days - or wakes weeks) 

Vacation is the time when universities are not teaching over the summer.

• 1 month ago

holiday in most of Europe means what we call vacation in America

• CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Europe, Australia, NZ all use the word holiday as their word for a vacation. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.