Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

How do I arrange it to see my great-uncle and great-aunt when they are in town end of March when my Dad will discourage it?

They are visiting with their daughter but coming for an event on the husband's side of the family (great-aunt is my late grandmother's sister). My Dad when I mentioned it said "well you don't even know if they are coming and they will have lots of people calling them". He does not like it when I reach out to extended family. He has no ill will for his aunt and uncle but sees it as bad that I reach out.

So my question is how do I arrange to see them in a way that would work and if they are too busy how do I get over my disappointment? I am an adult so don't need Dad to take me but will need to know when and if everyone is getting together with them (it is a big local extended family). I am getting anxious though it is a few weeks from now.

I get anxious easily and am OCD but I have to make sure I don't exhibit that in person to them or it would make people uneasy. I ask on here often to avoid showing it in real life as you may recognize my stories. This is NOT the side of the family I usually am writing about. 

Talk with someone in your extended family and ask them when would be a good time to come by to see your great uncle and great aunt. Or call your great aunt and uncle and ask them. Leave your dad out of it. You can let him know that you're going to see them, and if he objects, just say, "I know you don't want to go, but I'm going anyway." If they are too busy, it means there's some sort of serious problem between your dad and them, and you'll just have to accept that this is not your problem. Make sure to get together with some good friends instead.

write to them and ask if it is ok for you to see them when they come in. Or ask a family member when they will be in

i would just contact them anyways and not tell your dad

They may not wish to see family members with acknowledged mental issues. 

• Bill

Find out their phone numbers and those of other relatives, or contact them through social media. You're an adult, you don't need your dad's permission for everything.