Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 months ago

does intermittent fasting work?

I am 17 yr old girl who's 5'3" and 130. I would like to lose 5-10 pounds and I have read about the benefits of intermittent fasting. I am aware that it might take a few days to get used to, but I want to try it for at least a week. 

What do you guys think? Have you tried it?

• .

Yes, as long as you don't try to pack in extra calories during your eating window or eating days. Consider the most common IF method is the 16/8, which means in every 24 period you fast for 16 hrs and have an 8 hr eating window. If your window is noon to 8pm, you'd be skipping breakfast (thus your calorie intake for the day is decreased by the amount of calories you'd typically at at breakfast) and the goal is not to try to eat your 'typical' days calories in that 8 hr period. You eat as you normally would from noon until 8pm, and then stop eating until no earlier than noon the following day.

.

Some people fast for a full 24 hrs 1 or 2 non-consecutive days a week, and eat 'normally' the other days of the week, so they reduce their weekly calorie intake by however many calories they would 'normally' have consumed on their 1 or 2 fasting days. IF is basically a way to reduce calorie intake, and hopefully during the time you do eat, it would be a generally healthy diet (which is desirable for overall good general health).

.

Yes, I've tried it and it absolutely can be effective. The source article below gives some info on IF and how it can benefit the body. Whether you use IF or not, a healthy eating lifestyle and plenty of exercise should absolutely contribute to a fat loss of 5 - 10 lbs in a month (1 - 2 lbs/wk of fat loss is a healthy rate and not too hard to keep off long term, versus faster weight loss which doesn't tend to stay off long term).

In order for intermittent fasting to work at all, you have to be on a weight loss plan (such as ketogenic diet) and be in the process of losing weight already. People who are using Keto and who are fat adapted are those who get the most weight loss benefits from intermittent fasting.

However, fasting is great for anyone. Just eating in a 6 or 8 hour window everyday is good for us. That way we aren't eating for 16-18 hours every day. It's a good way to start -- gradually increase the fasting hours every few days.

Fasting can be more of a high than drugs.

• k w

dunno, but if you eat just fruit, on the weekend just to see how that goes, you may be

surprised at how it goes, AND the store sells fruit in juice too ! at least you won't starve

and you won't gain a lot, eating just fruit either, seems like a win-win to me,.......