Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 month ago

Colposcopy ?

Hi. I am 21 years old and had my first Pap smear three weeks ago as that was the earliest that they will do it. My results came back abnormal and low grade and now I have to do a colposcopy. I have a very low pain tolerance and am terrified. They will not give me any pain medication or numbing agent as I have requested. They are only willing to give me a Valium which is only for the anxiety and won’t help with the pain. I’m actually on the verge of losing my mind. Can anyone tell me about their experience with this?

Btw the pain is from the biopsy part and not the colposcopy itself in case anyone is confused. 

Probably will be no worse than your Pap smear.

They open you up with a speculum, as they did for the pap smear and then they move a colposcope towards your entrance so that they can see inside, it does not enter you!

Liquids are applied to your cervix to highlight any abnormal areas – you may feel a mild tingling or burning sensation when these are applied

A small sample of tissue (a biopsy) may be removed for closer examination in a laboratory – this should not be painful, but you may feel a slight pinch or stinging sensation.

That is it but every one reacts differently to the procedure, Valium may help to relax you if you are tense.

Take the Valium. The procedure is not long--and there aren't that many nerves around the cervix anyway. Your anxiety about pain is going to make you feel much worse than any actual pain involved. Tell your doctor how anxious you are--and take the valium they give you. Take several deep breaths, hold a nurse's hand during the procedure. 

I've had a couple of these and it's not too bad, really. You have to--HAVE TO--stay calm and placid beforehand so you don't make this worse than it has to be. There is no reason whatsoever to be terrified. And once it's over, there's no pain after. 

• PAMELA

Insist on pain relief keep on at them, say you cannot have it done without pain relief, i have had one of these and it is not really painfull but you have to relax during it and if you are thinking of pain then you will not be able to relax will you?

Your worrying way too much !! There will be very little pain if any at all. You will be laid on a table and the nurse or doctor will insert a speculum in your vagina just like a regular exam then the nurse or doctor will wash your cervix with a cleaning solution. Next the doctor will set up the Colposcopy, it doesn't go inside you at all. It will give the doctor a closer look at your cervix and check for anything abnormal like cancer cells etc. Don't stress okay. 

Relax, it is just a special microscope for looking closely at your cervix.

It is not a colonoscopy, but the name sounds similar.

No different from a regular gynecological exam/pap smear.

• Tulip

Relax no big deal

• audrey

I'd get a second opinion. Perhaps a different doctor would give you something for the pain. There is no reason for you to have to suffer.

• Edna

There is no pain.

• Tavy

For goodness sake, what pain ?, I have had this done the biopsy is no bigger a pain than the swab taken from your cervix or a flu shot. It's a quick pinch. The inserting of the camera is painless, I did not have anything numbing and watched it on the screen.

Relax , it's over in minutes. I would rather have that anytime over giving birth and having period pains.