promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is it safe to keep groceries one hour outside of the fridge after you buy them?

I live one hour away from where I study and I would like to shop there before returning home by bus. But I am a bit scared of some foods spoiling. Things like raw meat, raw chicken, cooked refrigerated shrimps, yoghurt, cheese, ham, ...

I live in Germany and it‘s pretty cold out there (0 to 5 degrees celsius) but in the bus normally there is heaters so it‘s more like 15.

What types of food is it safe to buy there?

I would like to buy stuff there because it is bigger and it has a lot more stuff than the supermarket near my house.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • marty
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

It will be fine. I have to drive over an hour just to get to a grocery store since we have a ranch in Wyoming. We never had problems with the food we brought home.

• Nick1 month agoReport

Depends what it is to be honest

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

Yes, unless it’s extremely hot. Potentially hazardous food has to reach room temperature first. After that time, pathogens form at an extraordinary rate, and most foods are suggested to be tossed after four hours.

• 1 month ago

It shouldn't be guaranteed that everything will go bad but it's far from impossible. There are cooler bags on the market now. They look like reusable shopping bags made of temperature retaining material with a seal. I've used them for years and had no problems. Iced cream stays firm after an hour on all but the hottest days.

• 1 month ago

Just bring a cooler for your meat if you're worried about it

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • J.S.
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

It is okay to keep perishable items for an hour without refrigerating.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Oh, please tell me you're joking. This can't be a serious question.

• 1 month ago

I doubt you're going to have an issue.

• Mr. P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Use insulated bags for frozen and cold produce, and try and pack together at the checkout.

I also use things like bags of crisps as insulation on top of cold or frozen items if there is any room left in the bags.

In very hot weather it may be good to buy ice cream or frozen peas just to keep other things cold.

• 1 month ago

people have taken an hour or more to get home for many many years and never died from their groceries.

Plan ahead a little.

Package all frozen and refrigerated foods together in a double bag and then close it, and maybe toss a blanket over it to keep in the cold. OR bring a cooler for those items. there are insulted bags available as well, in US at least.

How do you think other people fare doing exactly that.

AND fyi, 5 degrees isn't cold and is looked at a lovely winter day in many parts of the world.

• CB
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Best answer - hands down.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

An hour is fine. Just toss the cold stuff in the fridge the minute you get home.

• 1 month ago

I think you are quite safe if you keep away from any prolonged heat. Our home delivery van goods arrive quite warm sometimes but we have never had any problems, zap them in the fridge as soon as you get home and if you have concerns about the meat just cook it well.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.