John asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

Why didn't the US people let the US military finish off the Vietcong? I read up that the US almost wiped out the Vietcong.?

A Lot of you have good answers I wish I could give a top 3 at least.

• John

The US lost an average of 20 US troops everyday for about 8 yrs in South Vietnam, that totaled to more than 58,000 dead US troops..  Finally public pressure in the US convinced the Pentagon to pull US troops out of South Vietnam.

To this day I see no lessons learned nor positive benefits from our involvement there. I was stationed at Tan Son Nhut AB next to Saigon for 8 months in 1969-70.  It was by far the hottest and most humid place I've been to on Earth.  Just walking down the street during the day was like being in a furnace, I could always feel sweat rolling down my body all day.  No need for under arm deodorant because nothing would stick around to stink, my skin was constantly rinsed by sweat all day.

From our base next to Saigon, we could hear the war in all directions 24/7.  

I hear about tourists visiting Vietnam today.  I can't imagine out of all the places to visit, I'd rather see a nice place like Japan, I spent 4 months there in 1970, the Japanese people are really nice.

As long as the U.S. military participated, no one could ever finish off the Vietcong. Each time the U.S. military killed anyone in Vietnam, more Vietnamese would join the Vietcong, so it would become farther from ever being wiped out. Continuing the war would never had led to winning; it just would have made losing take longer, and deadlier, for both sides.

Granted that my usual source of information about Vietnam is no longer available. Also, this source information is from... John Q public. Your information is from reading. So words from something... What you smoking? Methinks it's time you pass it on. Appears I need to be as BAKED as you 

Granted that my usual source of information about Vietnam is no longer available. Also, this source information is from... John Q public. Your information is from reading. So words from something... What you smoking? Methinks it's time you pass it on. Appears I need to be as BAKED as you could be, but your likely trolling. Your question is a reflection of...?

"War! What is it good for..."

Source(s): War. As in the musical group from around those times. Believe such describes the general mood of those times. Maybe it's just more Hippy BS?

Perhaps you should check how many US troops the Vietcong killed.

the liberals started the war, then found out they would have to go fight in it, So immediantly started protesting. Then they found out the enemy were communist and we all know liberals love communist.

• jimmy

The fact is that the North Vietnamese didn't want a foreign army in their country. If the USA hadn't had pulled out, they would still be losing troops today.

• P

It wasn't a war that was able to be finished because the population of Vietnam was largely against it.  The US was always very good at winning conventional battles, but the vietcong would retreat and blend into the population\jungle and secretly reform in another spot and then attack and retreat again.    This essessally would have gone on forever and the US lost interest in maintaining a permanent military occupation of Vietnam.

• ?*?*?*?

The US has never won a war as of Yet!

The Viet Cong leaders were mostly people from southern Vietnam who were communist idealists.  The communist leadership in North Vietnam prompted the VC to attack US forces in 1968 (the Tet offensive) in order to cause severe casualties among the VC in order to weaken the influence of the idealists. Had that not happened then the VC leadership might have objected to a reunification of Vietnam under the Hanoi communists. 

The western news media - in cooperation with the communist media - portrayed the 1968 Tet offensive as being a victory for the communists when in reality the VC were crushed. 

No.

It wouldn't have helped. 

Maybe if the USA had invaded North Vietnam and conquered it and turned it over to the South Vietnam government...maybe.  Even them I kinda doubt it.

• W.T. Door

There is no way to win when the enemy gets safe havens.  That is also why we are not winning in Afghanistan and Iraq:  The enemy gets safety and support from neighboring countries.