Do I need to take Prednisone before MRI?

The attendent of this clinic said that everyone that undergoes an MRI with contrast needs to take this drug. I asked why and she didn't explain. In the past I had went to the same clinic, done the same MRI with contrast and no one asked me to take anything beforehand, so I'm finding all this kind of weird. 

• Retief
  • y

I have had multiple MRI's with contrast, as well as CT scans with contrast, as well as without. My daughter just had one about 6 months ago. I have never heard of takeing Prednisone prior.  Now, on occasion, they do a cortisone shot prior to injecting the dye, but that depends on the area they are injecting the dye in. That dye can create an aweful lot of discomfort and swelling in certain areas. Maybe they are doing this for a similar reason as the two drugs do overlap in what they do.

• manononbre1 month agoReport

It's a lumbar MRI. Does it mean that the injection will be on my spine? 

Prednisone is not required for an MRI, that really sounds crazy to me.

• IOM

Prednisone is often prescribed to prevent allergic reaction to the contrast dye.  Usually, you take 3 doses:  first dose 13 hours before your scan, the second dose 7 hours before your scan, and the third dose 1 hour before your scan.

That said, be aware that the most effective MRI contrast dyes contain gadolinium, a rare-earth metal that will stay in your body for life which can cause dangerous consequences.

Gadolinium retention and toxicity is a progressive disease. Several treatments are available if the condition is caught early, but often the disease is not curable. Gadolinium retention only occurs in patients who have received a gadolinium-based contrast agent.