What might be a pro or con of eliminating private healthcare and only having public healthcare?

Wouldn't removing them cause a drop in price?

Private healthcare seems like it should benefit the most in a capitalist market.

They don't need to compete much,

They have customers dying to buy.

Is it fair then that we allow them to exist in an overall, capitalist market? Or a market-economy?

Even worse, a democracy.

(

Shouldn't "supply and demand" only apply

when we have options?

We are all going to die eventually. 99.9 of us want to live long lives.

At a certain age, death becomes

"more real".

That is when we go to the hospital, and

spend our entire life savings, as well as some savings from some family members.

That probably would not happen as often

if healthcare companies never signed deals and agreements with drug companies. Effectively inflating the

prices on drugs.

So far I am going Bernie.

What might be some of the cons?

Btw I can be corrected, so please do.

The countries that have the best national healthcare plans also allow for private insurance and boutique free-for-services providers. At least in this way people have a choice. I know a lot of British folks with private doctors who've never seen the inside of an NHS facility in their lives. So some of the suggestions coming out of the Dem debates would be even more extreme than how most of our allies handle this. It's kind of all pointless though until the US has enough providers to actually serve our massive population. We have the most dire patient/doctor ratio in the developed world.

• Thanks!  I thought this as well... that nobody seems to be  arguing for us to have both private and public healthcare.  I am curious, what country do you think has the best set up in healthcare? 

Many people currently receive good quality health insurance at a low cost as a work benefit.    They would rather not give this up for a worse plan that costs them more in taxes.  

Since businesses can choose from many health insurance providers, it creates a competition for these providers to offer good services at a low cost.   

While some countries may provide affordable universal insurance, the plan proposed by liberals in the U.S. would be very, very expensive according to economists.  

• I see what you mean, how about pricing limits?  There most be way to ensure innovation, quality, and affordability. I know that the government's involvement would need to be very little... Do you think the government paying only 10 percent of every medical bill would work?  

Public Healthcare provides no incentive to delivery quality service or improve on Healthcare.

Think of the DMV or any other government run bureaucracy.... that is how healthcare would be if run by the Government

While I don't have all the answers you certainly are confused by out current health care system. 

Con - if there is universal health care there will be a lot of additional taxes to pay for it - and the harder you have worked and the more successful you become you will be paying a much higher rate of tax.

Con - opens a door for the gov't to dictate what a healthy lifestyle means and make laws for same (NYC sugar drink taxes etc). Slippery slope when someone else has the purse strings. 

It would be nice if there was a way to reduce the healthcare costs as they are excessive but it is not caused solely by drug costs.

Our current system does have medicare(for those over 65yrs old)  which pays a very large amount health care related needs. Although it is beneficial to have a secondary insurance to pickup the rest. Another real cost to families is the long term care (Nursing home or in home care) but there are long term health care plans you can buy if worried about that problem....250k a year just to have someone care for a person with little or not movement or cognition to care for themselves.

I know old crazy Bernie is going to Tax business - well guess who pays those taxes.......consumers of the goods and services of the businesses - you and me.....you can't tax your way to prosperity. When you give something to someone else you must take it away from someone who earned it.

• CB

FIRST RULE OF MACRO ECONOMICS- "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.".....you do what you think is right though - and I will follow logic and economic theory.

Private health insurance is an industry that makes so much money from not doing anything they have teams of call centers who's job it is to cold call you and harass you about buying their health insurance, 99.999% of whose calls get hung up on straight away. Talk about a waste of time and money. The government should be the insurance for everyone, and those who can pay, tax, should pay tax, to fund the thing. Let's get rid of useless wastes of time and money and do something constructive, like help people. 

Doctors would all quit their jobs and.... go on welfare? I give up. Idk. What?