Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 1 month ago

Does it make sense to raise my rent price an extra $50 ... when I don’t even have space for a kitchen table?

I live in a 1br 1bath apartment. It’s literally when you walk in... living room, To the left is the bathroom and bedroom, to the right is the kitchen which is a small strip ... can even fit the smallest kitchen table in the kitchen, or even outside it, and I find it tacky to put kitchen table in living room with carpet, but anyways if you keep straight when you walk in I’ll be walking out the back door on the porch/balcony. I currently pay $350, and now they want to go up $50 more dollars... Most 2 bedrooms pay 450 as far as I know. I’ll be paying almost the same as a 2 bedroom & they have enough space to put kitchen table.

The question was does it make sense .... to raise to rent ... I NEVER stated my opinion, on rather I like it or not. I have no problem with it. So all the extra ( pay it or don’t/leave) can move right on along... thanks. 

As taxes go up and maintenance prices soar, the rent also goes up, regardless of accommodations or size of the unit.

After paying my property taxes today, that went up about 12%, I'd understand the landlord having to raise your rent to make up that difference.  Your extra $600/year goes towards upkeep, insurance, taxes and improvements.

Some kitchens weren't designed for any more than cooking.  I have a house and my kitchen isn't big enough for a table either.

Not sure where you are but here in Chicagoland that kind of apartment in a good neighborhood would be triple that amount, plus utilities.

it makes sense to landlords. they can raise rent at each lease renewal if they want, and they usually DO want.

Yes, it may well "make sense" for the landlord to raise the rent to what they perceive as a valid price point for the value proposition in your location. For instance, if they know you can't find anywhere else for the same or less, in comparable condition, with comparable amenities (things you didn't mention), they may adjust rent to squeeze out closer to the maximum value.

Of course, if it goes "too high" for tenants like you, they will lose your business, but there may be others willing to pay the higher rents, meaning you have no leverage for any objection. That leaves it up to you to decide if you continue to appreciate what you have, for the extra $$, versus trying to find something different, and having to pack and move.  There is no guarantee the next place will be "any better" in the long run, when they also raise the rent.

There is no discussion here. The landlord can do as they please.  If you don't like it, stop complaining and search for another place.  Who knows, you might even end up liking it better than your current place!  Sometimes you just have to look for the silver lining.

Source(s): Life! I'm a pro at making lemonade out of lemons!

It makes sense to the OWNERS (if they can get the money from you then they win)  Maybe the LOCATION is ideal or the place is newer or roach free or whatever. Location trumps size many times for most people.  The renters decide themselves on whether they can do better than that by LOOKING AROUND & NETWORKING WITH FRIENDS. to find a cheaper place.   

.  The decision is yours whether you find the rent is too high or not.  Some can manage. Some find other accommodations for that money.

It makes sense for the owner to maximize his income from his properties, yes. 

Depends on your local rental market, rents for similar spaces and how long you’ve been there.  Has nothing to do with “sense”.

In my area your apartment would rent for AT LEAST $1,500 - $1,800 and there would be a line of 200 people waiting to get into it.

I am in Santa Cruz, California, one of the most expensive housing markets in the country.  I suggest you consider your rent a bargain.

You can expect a rent hike every year. That’s just normal. $50 is kind of high for a $350 rent. Maybe the landlord just want to make the numbers easier for him. If he rents out 7 places, that’s 2800, easy to do. But if it’s 360 then it’s a little bit harder to add up how much he should collect each month. 

If you don’t like the price then find another place or try to negotiate for a better deal. 

• Nuff Sed

Yes, "make the numbers easier for him", as if nobody who does landlord accounting knows how to use a calculator.

• ?

They might be trying to force you out by hiking the rent. Id certainly consider looking elsewhere, because with a 2 bedroom, you can have a flatmate and split the bills, so it could ebd up being much cheaper