Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

How do I embrace pain?

I need to be in discomfort to succeed in life. Being in a comfort zone is ruining me

“God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.”

~ theologian Reinhold Niebuhr

I'll tell you what two eminent psychologists say. 

Marsha Linehan designed Dialectical Behavior Therapy, the best treatment for borderline personality disorder. She points out that acceptance is important. Acceptance, she says, is not liking what's unpleasant but learning to get along with something that won't go away soon. DBT is one of the mindfulness- and acceptance-based therapies.

Emma Seppala is one of the psychologists whose clinical studies convinced the VA to recommend therapeutic breathing for vets with PTSD. She's also the author of a book based on extensive study of successful people. The Happiness Track.  The book explains how to be creative and productive living a low-stress life.

Video - Dr Seppala discussing her work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toRBKo0poxc

Youtube thumbnail

You can start messing up on purpose.

That should do it.

• Yes, it is important to acknowledge that life requires some suffering. Unlike the Buddhist who teach the end of suffering, modern western Man, believes, "No pain, no gain." How to embrace it? Notice its existence, walk towards it; do what it asks of you.