What makes rolling your own cigarettes cheaper?

I heard people say that. What makes it cheaper?

Anything you do yourself will cost less money. . . 

Not smoking makes it a lot lot cheaoer.

Tax. In most states loose tobacco is taxed at a lower rate than "taylor made" cigarettes. It can also be of lesser quality.

• Clive

Because it is.  If you buy cigarettes ready-made, you're paying a factory to roll them for you.  If you just buy the ingredients and make them yourself, you're not paying for that.  Just buying rolling tobacco and papers costs a good bit less.  Just like doing your own cooking - you're only paying for the ingredients and not for someone to cook them.

This is why, when British prisons allowed smoking, all the smokers rolled their own.  It was the only way for prisoners to afford it.

Because tobacco and papers cost less money.

Not smoking cigarettes is even cheaper, and much healthier.

• patty

anything manufactured like cigerettes will be more expensive than putting tobacco in a packet

You don’t pay for labor. You don’t pay for expenses like electricity, factory space rent. 

I used to smoke 30 a day, with cigarettes that cost £70 a week (would be more nowadays) and with tobacco it cost £30. I still decided the £30 was too much and stopped but it is cheaper.

You get way more from a pouch of tobacco vs a pack of cigarettes. 30 grams of tobacco cost me £14 and lasts all week, i smoke 20+ a day because I'm fearless