Niah asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Getting a yorkie puppy what should I know?

I am soon getting a yorkie puppy soon and just want to make sure I know everything before I get the dog. I know that they need to be walked and stuff everyday but I just want to know the fine details. For example how much will it cost to own a yorkie a month, how long should I walk it for, how to train and give the dog the best possible life thanks in advance any information helps

• Bort

#1 treat your dog the way you would want to be treated.

- Do not put it in a cage (jail).

- Don't yell, scream, no violence at all.

- As you seem to have done already educate yourself on that specific breed. Read and sponge all the info you can about them. 

How much a yorkie will cost you:

- They're small dogs so food wise you should be able to budget and stay under $30/month with food, treats, and toys. I have a 60lbs Staffordshire and the foods she likes best don't cost much at all. One of her favorites is less than $10 for a 17lb bag and that lasts between 3 and 5 weeks. The other dry food I get for her that she likes is less than $25 and last the same amount of time. A yorkie only gets to be maximum of 20lbs so if you find food he/she likes in the same price range it will last longer because it won't eat as much as mine does due to the weight difference. 

- Vet visits should be done for general checkups every 6 months regardless of whether they're having issues or not. Budget at least a minimum of $150 every 6 months for it. 

How far to walk your dog:

This really all depends on the dog. Basically; walk and let them run around until they're worn out. Yorkies are super high energy dogs that need a boat load of exercise otherwise they're nutballs and are virtually impossible to keep calm and chill. A yorkie doesn't only need to be walked daily it needs to run to be at it's best possible health. 

As for training:Look up and use Pavlov's Theory of Repetitiveness. That is how dogs learn. You do not need to, and you shouldn't, use treats. Simple rewards of graditude, petting, and love is all you need to do; Cheer! Applause, pet, hug, give kisses, be excited and happy when they do what you want. Do not ever stop that same repedativeness. When things change, their behavior changes. 

Potty Training:This is what a lot of people who haven't figured out how to train dogs have the most trouble and get frustrated with. They forget or don't consider the fact that the dog has a brain, they're not a machine. They're not going to go to the bathroom on command or as you let them out and crossing your arms and tapping your foot at them isn't going to make them go if they don't have to either. 

When the dog squats to go (use a towel to not get mess on you) pick them up and take them outside. Again; Pavlov's Repetitiveness. Do that every time, all the time, until they get it. The dog will eventually figure it out that their relief activity needs to be done outside and they'll develop their own way to let you know they need to go. When they get to that point where they have their own way of letting you know is when you can start using repetitiveness again to adjust their hint indication behavior that they have to go out into whatever you want them to do.  

The dog training Don'ts:

- Don't use any form of violence. Ever. If you ever use any form of violence to adjust their behavior or discipline them they are going to learn that violence is acceptable. No violence. At all. If you are unable to train your dog without using any form of violence (or treats in my opinion although even some professional and certified trainers use treats - I disagree with it personally because I've had success with all the dogs I've ever trained without treats) get some professional help training it. 

- Don't put them in a cage. Cage "training" is not training. They feel the same way about being in a cage that you do. It's a jail. Don't do it. 

Many of the clients I've had that I've helped with their dogs behavior who have caged their dog use the excuse "Well if I leave him/her alone, like when I'm at work, out of the cage he/she tears things up." And then I see videos of them with their dog in their home on social media where they are encouraging the dog to tear a toy apart and rewarding them for destroying something. Only allow the dog to destroy things when they're outside and only things that are expendable like sticks and toys that are easily replaced. If you want toys that are going to last get toys that are made of better materials that will last (Gorilla and Nerf dog balls as a suggestion, they're great and they last.). If you don't let and encourage them to tear things up inside the house they're not going to destroy your home when you're not there. 

Food Don'ts:

- Don't feed any dog foods like fruits and vegitales that have a rine (a skin). A dog's digestive system isn't designed or capable of digesting rine like ours is. It could lead to health issues. 

- Don't feed them anything high in sugars or glucose (sugar/glucose...same thing). They have enough energy. When you feed a dog something that has a sugar content they get a sugar buzz, then they experience a sugar crash. Sugars, including natural sugars found in some foods like strawberry's are very high in sugar, are not good to give dogs. If you want to give them a good, natural treat of fruits that might be high in sugar content do it sparingly. 

- Don't give them anything, ever, to drink other than plain ole water. Water is all they need. Try not to let them drink out of puddles when you're on walks. Puddles are usually stagnent water. It can have bacterias and viruses or some insect or parasite in it waiting for a host to infect that carries bad bacterias, viruses, or disease. Of course let them play in puddles. Don't let them drink it. Safety first, better safe than sorry. 

• Bort

Crating a dog is not at all a form of training it's locking it up in a jail avoiding and ignoring the responsibility to actually train it because the person is too lazy or doesn't know how to train it, so they take the easy route and cage it like it's a criminal. 

• P

Yorkshire terriers are bright, lively, inquisitive, spunky, sharp, excitable,HARD TO HOUSETRAIN, but they are loving and like to cuddle. Housetraining may be the hardest thing to deal with.

My dogs are a bit larger so some things will be slightly different, but heres what I know might help you out with a little puppy! 

1. HAVE FUN WITH IT! they don't stay small long enough!

2. The first year is the most expensive. I spent about $150 on initial leashes, collars, toys, beds, etc., but a lot of those are one-time purchases.

3. Puppy shots can be costly but MANDATORY! I spent about $100 in total (there are cheap places if you ask around) for all of my dog's puppy shots. As a warning, the initial estimate to treat parvo is no less than $600 so they're worth every penny!

4. A smaller dog won't cost as much to feed, but ask your vet about hypoglycemia and how often to feed your puppy

5. Yorkies are easy keepers, so they just need a short walk around the block and some play time to keep them happy and fit. 

6. Be careful with those fragile yorkie legs/knees and that little mouth of growing teeth to make sure they grow right, thats the biggest issues i've heard of with them

7. Yorkies can be stubborn so be patient and use lots of treats and toys to train!

Source(s): My own dogs and vet tech job for about two years now
  • Amber

Some of these questions can't be answered by anyone on here.

How much it will cost each month depends on where you live and on the dog itself. But take the time to go to a good breeder that is honest and interested in the breed and producing good, healthy dogs. 

How to train the dog - again that comes down to you and what methods you like. Personally I like positive reinforcement training for most dogs. But you need to start learning about how to train a dog. Some dogs do well be treat training like clicker. Some dogs it can make then greedy and food obsessed. Then when you don't have a treat they wont obey you.

Walking it depends on it's age and health. I think all dogs should be walked for a least 1 hour each day no matter what unless there is a medical reason. Even my 16 year old dog goes for an hour walk each day. I simply break it into 15 minutes sessions for her. Your puppy may need more.

If you don't know the answers to these questions I have to be honest...I don't think you're ready to own this puppy yet. 

For the fine details you just need to sit & do the research on owning a dog. Learn all you can about the breed, learn even more about dogs in general cause a Yorkie is much different than a Great Dane. Dog/Canine behavior is unique to dogs. So so much you need to learn & no way can it be explained here. Big dog or little dog, is still just a dog. Same canine behavior, just different size. Do your research. Study the breed & study canine behavior.

Think about training. Training is very important & it is up to you to do the training so you need to learn all about that too. Potty training, teaching the pup not to bite are the first two things you need to teach the pup.

I would never own a Yorkie, it is way tooooo small to fit into this household of large dogs.

1) You cannot and SHOULD NOT walk a puppy anywhere off your property (if you have a yard) before it has completed ALL of its shots or it can pick up one of two DEADLY viruses (Pavro or Distemper) and DIE.... or cost THOUSANDS of dollars to save.  In the case of Parvo, it may end up with a damaged heart & never fully recover.

2) You cannot WALK a puppy, until it has gotten USED to it collar and has been leashed trained to walk on the leash vs refusing to move & being dragged or having to be picked up (*which very few dogs like*).

3) If you want the FINE details you start by going to the NATIONAL CLUB's website & reading about the breed, and its health issues & how to find a REPUTABLE breeder, rather than a BYB or puppy miller.

Any REPUTABLE breeder will be glad to answer ALL your questions and educate you, but they do not suffer people - who know little to nothing about the breed, they are trying to BUY.  So read up on your breed, not only from websites but from BOOKS ON THE BREED, because these will also be places to get a lot of the information you do not seem to have.

• Bort

There is absolutely no need for caps and yelling. Pavro and Distemper are not automatically a death sentence for a dog they only become possibly fatal if untreated. There is nothing wrong with nor is it illegal to walk a dog anywhere in public that doesn't prohibit pets. This is a horrible answer.

• Maxi

If you are concerned about costs you should not be even thinking about getting a pup..... costs are health care, food, training....... and you are not ready even if you can afford a pup as you don't seem to know very much about dogs.

A good start would be to learn more about your breed choice, speak to GOOD quality breeders about the breed, health issues, daily needs, training, socialisation and ONLY purchase a good quality pup from a reputable breeder as that means you are more likely to get a good quality healthy pup and that will save you thousands across its lifetime as if it is healthy you will not be spending money at the vets

Find a reputable knowledgeablel breeder, and ASK THEM.   Honestly although there is a ton of information online, this is your best source of information when you buy a puppy, any puppy.

Be very careful where you buy this puppy from - there are many BYBs involved in churning out this breed.

Treat your yorkie the way you would treat a family member! Dogs have feelings and they will love you regardless cause once you bring a dog home they are considered family. Each dog has their own personality just like each human. I have a yorkie and he is pretty expensive cause he is allergic to fleas and certain types of dog soap but I see him as one of my children he needs special meds for fleas and a medicated soap. Not all yorkies are like this. I've known other breeds to have the same issues. Get to know your dog and go from there. Walk the baby everyday. Food well depends what you buy, I get royal canin but it's not necessary. I took my dog to a personal trainer that trains with treats and he learned very quick. My dog expects a treat everytime he does something good but those are not expensive.