Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Leaving my 4 year old for 2 weeks?

I’m going on a trip to the Dominican republic for two weeks. I planned this months ago but now it’s one week away and I am so sad to leave my four-year-old. He will be well taken care of with my dad up in Seattle but I can’t help but worry and be sad. I’ve been a single mom since he was born. I don’t like seeing him cry when I go. He doesn’t see my dad often so he’s not really used to him but I know he will be in good hands. I do also feel kind of guilty as I did when I went on vacation for five days in Florida last year. I know I will be safe with my coworker and my son will be safe up north. But I can’t help with having this feeling of separation anxiety can any other moms relate? Please share experiences where you’ve been away from your children! Thank you 

• Ryland

You probably could take him, i mean he’s 4, so it isn’t really a big deal if he missed pre school. as others said you could make it a learning experience and have fun with him, but he’s have to have a passport and it may be hard to do that now. But hey at least he is getting a chance to get to know his grandpa. 

This is very typical but from my own experience I can say that if your father's a good egg there's nothing more precious than the relationship between a boy and his grandpa. He'll cry, they all do. But at four he knows what's going on and his tears will largely be manipulation (unless there's something wrong with Grandpa or he just doesn't know the guy at all). You'll worry as you're supposed to. You'll check in on them frequently. I bet by the time you get back they'll have bonded and your son will cry when he has to leave Grandpa's house. But don't get too complacent in the DR. The spate of tourist deaths there should make you very careful about what you drink on your holiday. They say bottled beer and wine is okay but spirits in the DR are often adulterated with things like rubbing alcohol. So get your wine on and avoid mixed drinks and you'll probably survive to pick your son up at the end of your trip.

i wouldnt worry about it, it would give him a chance to get to know your dad

I think it’s a bad idea not taking him with you. He will learn a lot while away on vacation and enjoy visiting somewhere new.

When I was a child my mom never went on vacation without us.

Take your child with you.  Make it a learning experience.

• Shugar1 month agoReport

His dad won’t sign off for him to get a passport.

it is sad you want to leave your child just to take a vacation. Whatever happened to taking the child with you on vacation to bond with him and show him different things and people? I never went anywhere without my children.

• Shugar1 month agoReport

His dad won’t sign off for our son to get a passport.