Katie
Katie asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 month ago

Is it unreasonable for me to wash my jeans on a different day from the rest of my clothes?

I live with my dad and my sister. My sister doesn't work or go to school. She just sits at home all day. Instead of doing her laundry when nobody else is home (which is most of the day four days a week), she insists upon doing it when I want to do mine. I only have one pair of jeans because I'm kinda fat and the only jeans that fit me properly are really expensive, so I do everything except my jeans on my day off, then I wear a dress the next day and wash my jeans. According to my dad and my sister, it's completely unreasonable for me to do laundry on two different days. Mind you, my dad does all of his on Sunday. Nobody else should NEED to do laundry on a Tuesday evening. Is it really abnormal for my laundry to be spread out across two days?

It's not unreasonable. But can you hand wash your jeans in a sink? I've had to hand wash my jeans before, and it was really easy doing one pair in the sink at a time. You just squeeze out the water when you're done and then use a towel to roll them up in to get the extra water out (use a dark towel for indigo jeans). Then I hung them up to dry. Hand washing saves on water and electricity, if you only need to wash one pair.

no it isn't unreasonable---why can't everyone get 2 days assigned for laundry chores?  that leaves one day for laundry emergencies....easy fix.

There really is no need to do a whole load of laundry for just one pair of jeans.  Why not wash your jeans with all of your other dark clothing when you wash your other clothes??

If that is not possible, then think outside of the box.  Wash your jeans late at night or early in the morning or pick a time when no one else is using the washer and dryer.  

Is it even necessary to announce you are using the washer and dryer?  Just do it.

I wait until I have a full load of dark clothes or a full load of whites, or a full load of pastels before I do laundry, regardless of what day of the week it is.  Washing one garment, such as your jeans, is a waste of energy. 

Have your sister pick her laundry day.  You already know your dad washes on Sunday, so avoid that day.  Your sister is being a brat by not doing her laundry when she is home doing nothing all day long.

A load of laundry can begin whenever the washer is empty, even while someone else is using the dryer.  My goodness, this is not an advanced chemistry equation. 

• enn

So use a laundromat! Or wake up at 5AM and do your laundry then. Solve the problem by simply changing one thing in your routine. The wash machine is not used 27/7, so use it during hours when nobody cares such as 5AM.

Offer to wash your own bedding at the same time as you wash your jeans, to put the freshly laundered bedding back on the bed. It's not abnormal to wash clothes on one day, bedding and bath linens on another. You don't need to mention putting your jeans into the laundry with your bedding, you just do it. 

• drip

I have never ever done all my laundry on one day.  My mother never did all the laundry in one day. Why the heck do you need to do all the laundry in one day??   

No it is not unusual at all. 

Unless you want everything blue, washing your jeans separately is a good idea. The fact that is on a different day, seems perfectly reasonable. 

I do not think it is abnormal, especially when there are other people who want to do laundry on different days.