Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationVideo & Online Games · 1 month ago

If someone gifts me a game dlc from another country will it be locked to that country on steam?

I purchased Destiny 2 upgrade edition on EBay. The seller said I needed to change my location to Argentina on steam to accept the gift (which I did). The Dlc works fine now but I’m still on the Argentina store, if I change back to my normal store will I be able to still play the dlc pack?

If a game key requires you to change your location / country to redeem it, it's a massive red flag that the seller is being a bit sketchy.  The main reason for the red flag is that prices for items in some regions (like SE Asia) are getting specialized pricing to make things more affordable to them IN EXCHANGE of not being able to resell or trade them outside the region.

If you change your country back to the US (or wherever you happen to live), it's possible that you will get locked out of that DLC in the process until you switch it back to Argentina.  Considering that Steam gets really strict about region restriction enforcement (as they cannot convert such region restricted content to another region), you cannot use a VPN to show that you're in said country without risking your account getting restricted or even banned for regional discrepancies.

I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but it's the harsh truth & a hard-learned lesson you'll have to deal with.

Things that are region locked can be blocked for 90 days after you change your location. That guy you bought it from on Ebay was probably kind of scamming you by the way. There's a gray market where you can buy regional licences for games, and I bet he just bought from there and resold to you at a markup.

If you really insist on gray market stuff like that, there are a couple (somewhat) reputable websites like cdkeys.com and g2a.com. And you can see what region you're buying keys for before you send them money. You still often find global keys that will work anywhere fairly cheap, but there's always a possibility steam will refuse to recognize it sometime in the future. I've never seen it happen, but it technically can.