promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 1 month ago

Why do bikes get stolen?

We all know that bike theft is a huge problem and every year over 2 million bikes are stolen. Only very few bike owners successfully get their bikes back, but when most bikes are stolen, they’re stolen forever. This is why we need to put bike locks on our bikes and secure them really carefully so they don’t get stolen. Too many bicycles in this World go missing and bicycles without bike locks often become easy targets for bike thieves. But what bike locks are the best bike locks that are nearly unbreakable? 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Because they are of value.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Carlos
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Sometimes to joyride and for easy money if the bicycle has worth since very most  of them can't be tracked 

• 1 month ago

Young people have poor ethics these days.

• 1 month ago

Why? 

Ease of acquiring the bike, even locked, and the great availability of them, while being basically untraceable, for resale.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

A good set of 15mm+ keyed cable and U locks being correctly used is the primary thing needed to reduce thieft.  A good set of locks will cost at least $70.  

Complimentary items such as alarms, cellphone notifiers and tracking chips can help with prevention and recovery.   Complimentary items should never be used as a means of replacement for locks.

Last of all common sense.  Don't store your bike on a porch or to an object in your yard.  Store it inside of a secure structure.   Limit the time you must leave your secured bike unattended while in public.

Attachment image
    Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.
    • ...Show all comments
    • Land Rider Jerry
      Lv 6
      4 weeks agoReport

Your comment is a little vague, out in public you can't always secure your bike in a location to where you can watch it through a window. 

As for at home, thieves will learn your schedule then steal your U-locked bike off your porch when you aren't at home. Like I said use common sense. 

• 1 month ago

Well...since David let the cat out of the bag already - an angle grinder with a good wheel will slice through most U-Bolt locks in about 30 seconds to a minute.  The better (stronger) ones from Kryptonite & OnGuard Locks might take longer.  I had the displeasure one time of having a really thick chain lock freeze up on me.  The chain was still good - the lock froze up & wouldn't unlock.  Five minutes at the most & it was off.  

Bottom line...there's no such thing as an unbreakable or uncuttable bike lock.    

• David
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

There is no unbreakable lock. Only - possibly - ”unbreakable for a set type/size of tool”. An angle grinder will cut even the heaviest U-lock in less than 30 seconds. And these days, you can get them cordless.

Hydraulic bolt cutters are slower, but quieter and will do nearly as well. Easily hidden under a jacket or in a bag.

So I simply accept that anyone truly ”going equipped” will be able to break any lock, So when I have to leave a bike unattended, I use a cheap one AND a heavy lock used in a manner to secure the bike to an immovable object.

It stops the opportunistic thief and - hopefully - the dedicated thief will realize that he’s getting a low return on his investment if he steals my bike.

• 1 month ago

cause people are mean and steal them

• 1 month ago

If you ride a horse instead of a bike, you can train it to kick strangers. Horses aren't stupid, right? They look pretty smart.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.