How to have my job take more taxes out of my paycheck?

For the last 2 years I’ve owed in taxes and I believe it is because they aren’t taking enough out of my paycheck. Who do I contact and how do I tell them to withhold more taxes out of my paycheck so the end of the year I can get a refund? How much more would make a difference? I usually owe about $170 in taxes when tax time comes. I make around 21000 a year. Would I call payroll and then set up an appointment or could I just do it over the phone? And how do I bring it up? Sorry I have anxiety and need a step by step plan in order to make sure I do it right. So any advice on how to have them withhold more money? But then I heard that could be a bad idea in certain circumstances. Just sick of owing money every year! I haven’t done my taxes yet this year but I’m afraid I might owe again! 

• n2mama

You need to get a W-4 form from your payroll department and fill it out and have them withhold an additional $x per paycheck. Depending on if you get paid weekly, biweekly, twice a month, or monthly, that will determine how much extra should be withheld. If you get paid every two weeks (26 times a year) and they withhold an extra $10 per paycheck, that’s $260 extra withheld, or about a $90 refund based on the info you’ve provided. 

Keep in mind you don’t want too much extra withheld, because you are basically giving the government an interest free loan of your money.

Step 4c of the 2020 W-4 is labeled "Extra Withholding".

• Judy

You fill out a new W-4 form. If you have a payroll dept, ask the, otherwise ask your manager.

i would just ask them to do that

Just submit a new W-2 to the HR department, there's a line on it saying you want $X additional taken out each pay period.