What do I say to a professor at mandatory office hours?

One of my professors has a requirement that we come to his office hours at least once and I scheduled a meeting with him tomorrow. However, I have literally nothing to say to him. It's for a research class where they basically tell you how to get involved in research on campus and speakers come talk about their research. I honestly have no clue what I'm going to say to this man, please help with any questions/conversation starters. I don't want it to be awkward and I already have authority problems so I'm scared I will almost cry like I always do when I have to have a one-on-one meeting with an adult lol.

• Paul

Ask him about his research projects. Profs love to talk about themselves.

Source(s): Former Prof

Ask if he does research and what exactly he does. Prof's can talk for hours about themselves. Also he will probably do much of the prompting. More often than not Prof's are genuinely interested in bettering your career. If you plan to go to grad school or something that may require a letter of rec this could be a good chance to get an in.

Start with saying something positive- talk about something you learned from one of the guest speakers. "I was really interested when X talked about..." Then ask some questions about how research on campus would be related to the career you want to get into. Ask about the possibility of jobs involving research with the degree you're getting, and about additional opportunities if you went to graduate school (you don't actually have to be interested in going to graduate school - just bring it up as a subject of discussion). 

i would just go and let him do the talking