How to get a divorce? ?

Me and my husband have been separated for about 4 years now and I’ve been procrastinating on divorce but am completely clueless on how to do it. We have no property, no children, and don’t want to be together. I called a lawyer to discuss what to do but just to sit down and speak with her is $190 and I figured I would rather actually pay where I need to for fees and filing? And can someone give me a step by step what to do? I’ve been calling lawyers but I might not even need one? I heard I can get divorce papers from my county clerks office but also I should contact a lawyer? And then get an index number and pay filing fees and I’m confused as to who even to hand these papers to. And then I read he has to get a summons? And some extra papers? Anyway I’m completely lost on how to go about this and I feel this is what I’ve been avoiding for so long but it has to be done! Any and all detailed explanation are appreciated because like I said I have NO idea what I’m doing. I’m pretty sure it’s going to be uncontested. I am in new york state we’ve both been residences of NY in the last year which I know is a requirement. I also don’t want to put blame on him during this process. I’m sure he would have no problems signing the papers. I’m confused to why I can’t just get the papers, sign them, have him sign them, and hand them in and boom divorce. If only it was that easy. Thanks in advance for any and all advice. 

With no marital assets and no kids you shouldn't need a lawyer. Go to the Nolo Press website and look up the forms for NY state. They're pretty self explanatory and you can download them and mail them in.

Step by step depends where you live.  Google where you live and "how to get divorced".

• Shaiann1 month agoReport

I said New York